1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Live EQ Help

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Snerek, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    question for you..... i just got a new bass, the Marcus Miller 4 string and last night was the 1st full band jam with it. and the first song, was a drum n bass intro but here is the problem. the band could not hear my bass! we had to stop the song and they were like, hey we cant really hear you.

so i quickly panicked thinking maybe this bass wont work for this band, but quick fix just boosted my mids and told myself i would tackle this issue later on.

it must have been my eq, cause i took it to the studio earlier that day and i was jamming alone and it sounded fine. however in the mix i have some eq issues.

maybe it just takes some getting use to with the pre amp and a new toy but do you all have any eq suggestions for me?

any help would be appreciated.

ps i'm rocking through an ampeg svt 4 pro and a 6x10svt stack.

2. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Since you said you are "rocking", I suppose you play rock music :p

How exactly do you set your EQ? Do you play with your fingers or do you use a pick? Did you remember to plug your bass in? (just kidding on the last one ;))

3. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    we play rock/jazz/funk/pop

Bass,Drum, elec gtr, acust gtr, & sax/EWI.

Finger style & Slap

my eq, i have not really found a good setting yet, im allways moving things around, but its usually something to the effect of boosting lows, low mids at about little more than half, high mids below half and highs usually cut.

so not quite a smile. hope that helps but its hard to descripe. i konw the amp (svt 4 pro) you can really dial in a specific tone. i most likely just need to keep messing with it

4. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Try boosting somewhere between 400Hz and 1kHz to give the bass some "growl" and makes the notes stand out. On some tunes you may want a lot of boost. (You may have to roll the top end off some, so it dies not get too clicky/twanky).

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Drop the lows. Put the high mids back flat. Do what you want with the highs ;)

That would be a good place to start. If it sounds great soloed... you have it wrong :D

6. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1 (especially the lower end of this).

Get those mids up!

And stop worrying about what you sound like practicing by yourself. seanm is right, if you sound good solo'ed, you have it wrong (for sitting in a band mix, that is).

-Mark