1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Live with NIN

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by rahul_2092, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Hey Justin, How are things going? I was just wondering when your playing live with NIN, does the band have any pre-gig jam or anything? Do you play the original bass lines or do you come up with your own lines? Do you ever change the bass line for a song during the tour or does it remain the same during the tour? Do you still get any pre gig jitters? :p

2. How are the rehearsals going?

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks for writing, Rahul.

We don't really do any playing before the show, but we prepare with a very long soundcheck during the late afternoon. It's more like a rehearsal...we tend to play for a couple of hours. As far as basslines, it depends on the song. Take something like "The Collector". Not much room for improvement there. Other songs have a lot more latitude.

I don't really get pre-gig jitters, no. It would be falsely modest to say that I do.

Rehearsal is overwhelmingly busy, but going well.

Best,
    JMJ

4. Glad to hear the rehearsal's are going well :). While doing the sound check do you guys just play the songs that are going to be featured in the set-list or do you guys play songs that have never been played live or just jam? Do you guys have any pre-ritual before going out to play? I heard trent saying in an interview you guys play some weird music loud or something? How do you choose songs that are gonna be featured in the set?

5. How did you feel before and after your first gig with NIN?

6. Hey Justin is it true that you guys try to creep other bands/security guards/hangers on by blasting the most inappropriate songs (well not what you expect NIN to listen to) whilst in your room pre show?

7. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    blizzard: yes. Though not with any dark intention. Just for fun.

rahul: we do all kinds of things at soundcheck, every day is different. Our pre-show ritual does exist, but it's a private thing. Nothing odd, just a get together. After the first NIN show? Exhilarated. Beforehand? Nervous in the extreme.

JMJ

8. Did trent have a private talk with you or anything to help calm you down or anything before your first show?How did it feel gettting the call from trent to join the band, you said you have been a fan of NIN over the years?Did you own every record before?How is it going from being a fan to actually joining the band?

Thanks for always replying :)