1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Living Colour VIVID bass recorded version book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by paul_wolfe, Mar 17, 2009.

1. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Hey everyone,

Not sure which forum this should go in...please feel free to move!

I'm looking for the Living Colour VIVID bass recorded versions book. If anyone's got a copy they want to sell please PM me.

IF anyone's got a copy and THEY don't want to sell, any chance you could post the ISBN number and publication details and I can try and get a copy through my local library search.

Thanks

Paul

2. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    A PS to the last post - if you've got VIVID and wanted to swap for the TIME'S UP bass recorded versions book I'd be good to go on that.

Paul

3. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    BUMP

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I don't see an ISBN.

Here's some info on pg. 1-
    Book Copyright 1990 CPP/Belwin, Inc.
    15800 N.W. 48th Ave.
    Miami, FL 33014

EDITOR: Carol Cuellar
    DESIGN: Ken Rehm
    TRANSCRIBED BY: Larry G. Goldman

On Pg. 3, A Note from the Transcriber-
    Larry G. Goldman- Bass Transcriptions
    c/o CPP Belwin, Inc.
    15800 N.W. 48th Ave.
    Miami, FL 33014

On the spine, there is this-
    "P0833BGX"

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Once upon a time, I loaned a friend an AWB song book (Soul Searching)...well, he moved away & I never got the book back. A few years ago, I found it at a place called Red Sky Books.
    http://www.redskybooks.net/cgi-bin/rsb455/index.html

They do have Stain by Living Colour (I didn't know this existed until now)-

Maybe drop them a line to be on the lookout for Vivid?
    Nothing on E-Bay?

6. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Hey Jim

Thanks for the answers!

Very helpful. Been searching Fleabay for a while, no joy. I've got Stain - and Time's Up - and wanted Vivid to complete the collection. I think I may have had it in the early 90s but was going through my 'fusion' phase and didn't really appreciate it, look at it, hang on to it.

I've got a couple of searches out for it - plus I'm going to a place called Ross On Wye here in the UK in a couple of weeks which is apparently the second hand book capital of the world.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Paul-
    Your Bass Player magazine index is a nice tool...and light years ahead of what they have available on their own site! Now get busy on the years you have not indexed yet!
    ;)

Something I recall doing with the Vivid bass book...and I will say this book + Slutsky's SITSOM/Jamerson book pressed me to read 'better'-
    I used my drum machine to 'play' the rhythms...especially helped on some of Muss Skillings' slap/pop phrases.
    So, if a slapped note was on the "E"-string...I used the drum machine's KICK drum
    Slapped note on the "A" got a LOW conga sound
    Popped notes on the "D" got a MID conga sound
    Popped notes on the "G" got a HI conga sound
    Muted/ghosted/X-notes (Fretting Hand slap) received a Cross-Stick sound

If the tempo was too fast (120?)...slowing it down to 80-90 allowed me to really internalize the 'sound'. This aided in coordinating my hands to do what was required.
    Then it was just a matter of playing at tempo.

8. deecher99

deecher99

Mar 27, 2009
    Dude, I totally have this book. And you're in luck because I doubt I'll ever use it again. I enjoyed it, but I can be sure my friends will NEVER want to play a cover from Vivid. Let me know if you want it.

9. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    DUDE

I"M TOTALLY THERE - THAT ROCKS!!!

I"VE PM'd you!

Thanks

10. planettnicci

planettnicci

Mar 16, 2015
    Hello I'm going through the same situation. I had this book when it came out but lost it in a flood : ( Do you still have it? Are you willing to sell or perhaps make copies? I can't seem to find it any where! Thanks. Contact me at planettnicci@yahoo.com.

Funk$tar likes this.
  11. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Stain - that album heavily influenced me as a player. Just insane tone and playing. Cool to see you found someone with Vivid.