Long lost G&L 1985

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by Mac, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Mac

Mac

Apr 14, 2004
    Denver Colorado
    John McMurray 1963-1985 Lost G&L Bass Guitar. My name is Mike McMurray, and I am looking for a bass that went missing after my brother’s death. The problem is that it was 23 years ago! I spent some time talking to his girlfriend at the time Robin, but she would not turn it over to my family. She was in San Francisco and I was down in L.A. At that time I was to bummed out to fight, but much has changed and I feel it belongs back with my family. NO QUESTIONS ASKED Here are the details: His name was John McMurray and he was a bike messenger in San Francisco in the early eighties. He played in a band called Air Tight Garage. The band members were Sam Shipman vocals, Darrel (don’t know the last name) drums and Jay Crawford guitar and John McMurray on Bass. My brother was hit by a car and died on June 26th 1985. His girl friend at the time was named Robin, (don’t know the last name). The Bass is a red early 80’s G&L single pick up no pick guard. I have picture on the picture page, it is not a good one but I think it is enough to identify. I can e-mail the jpeg to anyone who asks. Lord knows this is a long shot if there ever was one but this is a no questions asked deal. I’m sure if it still exists the current owner has no idea of its history and I will pay fair market value plus a reward for its recovery. I am now playing bass again in a working band after a twenty-year layoff and for some reason this has been bugging me more and more. I don’t need this bass from a practical point of view; I have plenty of my own. It’s just that there is a very strange feeling surrounding the bass. I know that may sound strange to some but there have been a lot of instruments over the years that have had odd histories. I am reaching out to the Bass Players community and the internet world. I am posting this on every bass related message board that I can find. I am a very active member in my music community and hope that all that see this will take a moment to forward it to anyone who that think may help and post it on any board that they see fit. My contact info: Mike McMurray Cell 303-596-4539 Home 303-368-0876 E-mail: [email protected] Denver, Colorado
    myspace.com/macbass
    myspace.com/johnmcmurray

2. troy2003

troy2003

Aug 29, 2007
    MN
    Good luck,and I mean it.I will keep my eyes open.I completely understand the sentimental part of it.I had a brother who was killed in a car accident almost 6 years ago-and I feel like that about lots of his posessions.

3. funkytoe

funkytoe In Memoriam

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Single pickup G&L with no pickguard? I'm no expert, but I'm guessing its either a Climax bass, a L-1000 or L-1500. Was the pickup placement in the center of the bass (the "P" position) or closer to the bridge, like a Musicman stingray?

If it was closer to the bridge, there was a 1980's, red G&L Climax bass on the local Bay Area Craiglist last year for the longest time. The seller lived in Santa Cruz and claimed it was his girlfriend's bass that she left behind when she moved out (or something to that effect). Maybe that's a place to start?

Good luck.

4. funkytoe

funkytoe In Memoriam

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Strike that .... per G&L website, Climax basses were only produced from 1992-1996. So, it could not possibly be your brother's bass. Sorry.

5. Mac

Mac

Apr 14, 2004
    Denver Colorado
    Thanks I forgot about gecking craigs list...

6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'll keep an eye out also. Best of luck to you.

Marshall

7. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    My first bass was a red G&L L-1000. Great bass. It belonged to my father, he had it since new. It's since been sold so my father could get a new Les Paul guitar.

Would you know the serial number? There were quite a few red G&L L-1000s made in the 80s, I'm not sure if there's a way to distinguish the one you're looking for, unless you know the serial number.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You might try posting this in the G&L fourms here, and at badassbaplayers.com.

A pic would be real helpful.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  10. Mac

Mac

Apr 14, 2004
    Denver Colorado
    That IS my brother and that IS the bass I am searching for. I set up the Myspace page for this reason.. Thanks for your savy computer skills :) I know this is a total long shot "1 in a Million" but hey with the internet who knows..... No cost just time, Just one of those things that is gnawing in the back of my brain. I dont obses but I feel better that I at least have my feelers out there.

Thanks to all my bass bretheren

Mac
    Bass player for The Informants

www.theinformantsband.com
    myspace.com/theinformantsband

Debut CD "Stiletto Angel" Is NOW ON SALE!

The "Stiletto Angel" CD can be purchased online at the following websites:
    Mile High Music Store
    BarnesAndNoble.com
    BestBuy.com
    Amazon.com
    iTunes
    myspace.com/macbass

Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security. Benjamin Franklin

11. Weimhunter

Weimhunter

Mar 2, 2007
    Mississippi
    I agree with chef, def. a 80 to 82. I would say that is candy apple due to the shine from the flash. Chrome hardware makes it fall into those years. Also has a rosewood board. I have a few that color but no rosewood boards. Good luck Try gettig in touch with the guys in the band with your brother. They might have more info of the girls last name.

12. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Really not enough to go on there. I agree it would appear as a CAR '80ish L-1000.

The picture isn't good enough to find any distinguishing marks to ID any CAR L-1K as the one though.

I've seen you asking about this one a few years Mac and still hope you manage to find it someday.

Jim

l_540570aa010ed6b8db44311267dff433.png

13. Mac

Mac

Apr 14, 2004
    Denver Colorado
    See the original start of this thread for the info

14. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Have you had no luck tracking down his old band members? I'm sure one of them would know Robin's last name.

Also, if you have any old gig posters from shows your brother's band played I'd google every band name on them. You never know where you might find someone that knew your brother or his bandmates or his ex.

I think you may have better luck trying to track down people who could lead you to Robin than trying to find the bass directly. If she still has it, chances are it isn't getting played where anyone would see it (or played at all).

Good luck with the search. If you can afford it, a private investigator might be worth hiring, even to get the trail started for you.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021