long nails

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Atef, May 24, 2005.

1. I don't know if I should post this here, or elsewhere...

Recently I started playing guitar as a second to my bass. When playing bass I use my fingers for a round tone, and I like my nails short, but on guitar I prefer to play with my nails. Any solution?(I don't like the feel of a pick, so I'd rather avoid that, and playing guitar with your fingertips sounds a bit dull) maybe there are...I dunno.. caps to put on your fingers when playing bass or something?
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You could try fingerpicks when playing guitar, but I don't know whether you would find that satisfactory.

My situation is similar. In an ideal world, I'd play guitar with fingernails and bass without, but that's not possible. I find fingerpicks unusable, so I play both instruments with (short) nails. My reasoning is that I'd lose more by playing guitar without nails than I'd lose by playing bass with them. It's something of a compromise, but it's a compromise that works better for me than any other arrangement I can think of.
  3. well fingerpicks are on my list to try, but as I play bass more than guitar those nails have to stay off for the moment
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'd say fingerpicks with the guitar. Richard Lindsey seems to have the best solution for him, but you might well find fingerpicks to work very well for you.
  5. I prefer bare fingers on regular guitar and bass, and fingerpicks on dobro and steel guitar. However, there is a type of pick, I believe it is called the "Alaska Pick" that is made of plastic and the pick portion extends from the top or nail portion, instead of from the bottom or pad of the finger. You might look for something like that. The only time I use picks on a regular guitar is when I am performing solo acoustic. When I use electric I find the amp takes care of any volume problems and the finger pads provide plenty of warmth.