1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Long shot - compressor question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wayne8, May 8, 2010.

1. I've owned compressors before. I've read Bongo's stuff. I'm looking for a compressor that can sound like the built in compressor in my Fender Rumble 25 practice amp. It sounds better than any compressor I've used (granted, only about 4 and they were less expensive models). This time I'm ready, since I just sold some pedals, to spend more (up to $200) to get a really good one IF it can sound like that practice amp.
    What this amp does is smooth out the tone or maybe smooths out the edges of the notes so that it all sounds really smooth and professional. When I'm using my other, bigger amps, I can't get that consistent, smooth tone, especially when using a pick. And I get volume spikes that I apparently need help controlling.
    Now, I'm not necessarily asking which compressor I need, though I'm open to advice, I guess I'm asking if anyone can tell me what commonly used compressor terminolgy did I just describe when talking about how my amp sounds. Squash? I guess you might have to have played through a Fender Rumble to know what I'm talking about but maybe my description will be enough. Hope someone can help!

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Broadly generalizing: for "smoothing out the edges", I tend to like optical comps and tube comps--and 99% of tube comps are actually optical.

3. Thanks, Bongo!
    Okay, then I'll read what you've got to say about optical and tube compressors and go from there. One more question. Does what I want HAVE to increase sustain? I'm not necessarily needing or wanting more sustain.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    You just mute each note the way you normally do as you play. All a comp does is turn the volume up and down. If you mute a note, turning up the volume won't un-mute it. :)

5. I'm looking at the Carl Martin Classic Opto. Any idea how many hours it'd get on a battery?

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Nope. I don't use batteries in my pedals.

7. T-REX Squeezer

8. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I'm currently holding out for an Aguilar TLC...although I can't seem to stay away from the classifieds here long enough to actually save for it.