1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Long-term EBMM Stingray5 value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blindrabbit, May 20, 2011.

1. Hi there-

I'm the original owner of a 1991 EBMM Stingray5 in close to mint condition, and to make a long story short I'm considering selling it to fund a custom build. Any thoughts on whether or not this is something I will regret 20 years from now? I don't know if 1960s Fender Jazz owners or 1970s Stingray owners in the 1980s knew just how valuable what they had would become...or maybe they did. I don't think it is a particularly rare bass, nor is it that "treasured" of a time period for them. Sure, I love it to pieces, but I've been thinking for a while of going back to a 4 string anyway, and I've always longed to have a custom build for myself (and I'd rather not get it when I'm 70!).

I'd appreciate any opinions out there. Certainly I could keep it, its just that then I would have to wait longer to be able to afford the custom build, and I am suffering from GAS pains something terrible. I don't want this to be an impulsive decision though, thus my petitioning of fellow bass players.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I don't think anyone can accurately say.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I don't think these will skyrocket in value like those Fenders from the 60's. Those Fenders were totally hand built, and they only made a few of them. EB and their machinery have been cranking out SR5's for around 20 years. They are plentiful.

4. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I say keep it but not because it will appreciate a lot. I had a hard time selling a nice 93 sr5 recently. You wont get 4 digits for it.

5. For starters, you won't get what you paid for it. Next, it's not likely to ever experience a steep increase in value (guitars typically aren't great investments). Sell it now and take that first step toward your custom dream!

6. i wouldn't hold on to it just because it might become valuable. If you know what you want right now, then take the necessary steps to achieve that. If you have to sell your 'Ray, then do it. However, if you love the ray and how it plays and sounds then it might behoove you to hold on to it so you'll always have a solid 5r. Either way, good luck!

7. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    the reason old basses are valuable is because they are scarce and there is a surplus of buyers , and a shortage of instruments that are completely original , also there is a ton of cash in circulation fueling high prices in every area of collectables most of the prices are hard to justify but they are based on what people are willing to pay.

I believe things will be much different in the future and there are more instruments being produced nowadays , and there will be more sellers than buyers modern instruments will never appreciate in value , you can easily replace the ray in the future if you want to.

8. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    hi, i collect antiques. i have about a million dollars worth, and have studied them and their trends alot. in the 60's, no one had any idea they would be collected and more desirable than newer instruments someday. today, people stash things in their attic (boxes of beanie babies, franklin mint stuff, mint new guitars) thinking someday they will be worth huge money. since everyone is stashing them, they wont be rare in mint condition(or any condition). because the quality of todays guitars(woods, quality control, purity of the nickel used in the frets, the glues, copper purity in the coils,everything) is lower, they wont stand the test of time and the desirability/rarity factor. johnny a.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say keep it simply because you have been playing it twenty years. Your new bass may be your dream bass, but it don't be surprised if you don't end up wanting to play your old Stingray because you are so used to it.

10. A '91 SR5 will have a hard finish on the neck, plus the pickup has alnico magnets. Speaking as a long-time SR5 player (18 yrs): if I were looking for another SR5, these are things I would be looking for and there are others who feel the same, maybe enough to pay a premium for it (now). Can't say whether or not people will feel the same down the road.

11. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback and comments. While I can see how my original post may have come across in that way, I never really thought of this from an economic perspective of making or losing money. I do recognise and agree that Stingrays from that vintage will never be rare or unique, but I also will consider the fact that I'll never have another opportunity to have a 1991 'Ray that I bought new and have been the only owner of!

I think I need to win the lottery or something so I can keep it *and* get a custom build. If that doesn't happen though, at this point I'm slightly leaning towards GASing up, selling the 'Ray, and making the leap towards my dream custom bass.

Thanks again!