Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

long throw cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleadom of bass, Nov 10, 2003.

1. fleadom of bass

fleadom of bass

Nov 10, 2003
    usa
    I am looking for a 4 10 cab to use with a ampeg svt 4-pro and the option of having the cabs speakers be long throw came up.

what are long throw speakers and what is the benifit of havng them in your cab

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Definition from sweetwater.com:
    In a loudspeaker long throw refers to the ability of a speaker cone to travel long distances in and out without encountering nonlinearities in its response. In speaker enclosures (high frequency horns especially) long throw refers to a shape that "focuses" the sound energy in a tighter pattern so that it will travel farther in a coherent fashion. Some horns are designed to spread the energy into a wide pattern for coverage while others are designed to be "long throw." Usually a long throw horn is recognizable by the long "throat" between the driver and the horn opening. Long throw speaker cabinets usually have the speakers recessed into some kind of horn like shape as well.

I have seen PA speaker cabinets advertised as long throw. The Long throw cabinets I have seen are very large and are designed for outdoor or stadium useage. The Subs in these types of systems are very large - usually with either 2 or more 18's or 4 or more 15's. Much too large for an individual to gig with.

Here are some examples of long throw speakers:
    http://www.mwsound.com/commerce/ItemView.cfm?INV_ID=3021 - $8,333.00 for long throw horn for highs with 117db sensitivity.
    http://www.mwsound.com/commerce/ItemView.cfm?INV_ID=3023 - $7,667.00 for long throw horn for mids with 114 db sensitivity. It would take 2 of these to match the 117 db sensitivity of the above long throw speaker for the highs.
    http://www.mwsound.com/commerce/ItemView.cfm?INV_ID=3025 - $5,334.00 for long throw sub with only a 101 db efficiency. It would take several of these to match the above mids and highs.
    http://www.bagend.com/bagend/bassault-r.htm - Large heavy cab with 4 21" drivers

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What you're calling "throw" is actually called "excursion". It's the deviation of the coil from the center position. High excursion speakers generally (but not always) have higher power handling capacity, especially for low frequency transients. This can be especially important with dinky 10" speakers, and especially if you play a 5-string. Generally with an ordinary 10" speaker what'll happen if you pump a low B through it at full power is the cone will try to jump right out of the speaker. There are some frequencies that are even lower than the 31 Hz low B, for instance bass transients that are essentially "subsonic", that can be generated by thumping or picking or any number of other ways. These are especially dangerous if your speakers try to reproduce them. In my time I've seen more than one 10" speaker cone flying all the way across the stage (we're talking "all" the way, like maybe 25 or 30 feet). Sometimes all it takes is one good "thump" on the low B. The advantage of high excursion speakers is that the cone is more likely to stay attached to the frame when something like that happens. The drawback is that they generally require more power to get up to the same volume level, and also they're usually a bear to recone if that need should ever arise. Personally I would prefer larger speakers for low frequencies, especially with an Alembic or other bass that has a strong fundamental. Just out of curiosity, how much are they charging you for the extra excursion? Are all the other specs the same? Are we talking about an Ampeg cab (and therefore probably Eminence speakers)?

4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    yeah pretty much what they said....

I would add that "long throw" or long "cone excursion" speakers usually will totally change the "speaker plus box" tuning compared to the originals, and might not work well if just dropped into a cabinet.
    They could flap and fart horribly or they might be better than the original ones, no way to tell without doing the calculations.

Since many "long throw" or long excursion speakers are sub woofer types, they might not be too hot for instrument use, either.

I think you would be better off to choose a complete system (cabinet & speakers) on tone and power handling, and not worry too much about how it got that way. If it sounds good, you can move it OK, and it doesn't blow up, what more is there to want?

Its about how they sound, after all. Tech stuff is a trap...good to know enough, bad to get too far into details unless you have to or that's where you are going instead of music.

5. fleadom of bass

fleadom of bass

Nov 10, 2003
    usa
    The cab I hope to get is a 4 10 800 watt longthrow cab from a local maker low down sound