1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

look what I did to my bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGirl1122, Apr 3, 2009.

1. I'm movin' on up! Been playin' for a little over a year and now I am "pimping" up my basses! :hyper:This is my Squier jazz..recently I came across a Fender Squier series neck, and changed it out (Fender is the main logo instead of Squier) and then put on a new pick guard on it...what cha think??
    before
    mygear. (the burgundy and white one)
    l_5ae09b1b8367d054209ee9e1a0dfc20e.

after
    meandmatthew002.
    meandmatthew001.
    bassgirl2015.

now to get that "Squier series" off...any ideas? Tried acetone..didn't work..perhaps using a low grade sandpaper??? :confused::confused: hey, I am trying to turn her into a Fender! haha!

2. Why so many basses for a relatively new player?

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Why not? :bassist:

4. ++1
    The more,the merrier.

5. +1

i wish i had more then one....

Are those soundgears?

6. got 6 1/2 now! the 1/2 is the extra neck that came off the Squier..
    hey new bass players get GAS too!!:bag:

7. The marble pickguard definitely suits that colour - very nice.

You'll have to use the spare neck to build your 'perfect' FrankenBass.

I had most bits lying around, so I built this:

P3140331.

P3140332.

I had the neck, bridge & the Bill Lawrence EB50BP(?) humbucker and strings, so I got a DiMarzio Ultrajazz, a loaded control plate & a pickguard & put them all together. I got the body from an importer who was selling off the unbroken bits of stuff damaged in transit - it's poplar.

The thing is, it plays, and sounds really good!!

Why don't you try it - it's not so hard.

8. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    im diggin that pink bass big time :)
    nice collection too!

9. Buster666

Buster666

Nov 29, 2008
    Maybe sell some of the gear you really don't use and get a better set of pups?

10. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Heretic!

What kind of a TBer are you?:p

That guard looks cool on that color Sel.

11. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    love the look of the red and the pickguard.

12. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Look's great! The color combo rock's!

13. I've always liked the pearls, nice!:cool:How does the new neck play and sound in comparason?

14. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I don't know why you so bother about Squier logo. If you want a real fender sell so of those bass and buy a real fender.

15. mike.b

mike.b

Aug 21, 2007
    england
    sweeet.GAS is good.whats the point of having an axe if you can't modify it.

16. It was more of a jealousy comment then an insult. I've been playing 3-4 years and JUST upgraded from my beginner bass. :crying:

17. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    They are better for your health than a crack addiction.

BTW, that red jazz looks great!

18. SloworNotAtAll

SloworNotAtAll

Apr 15, 2007
    +1

I've been playing for 9 years and the most I've ever owned at one time was 3, and that was only cause I had trouble selling one.

Now, I just have the 74 P.
    might get a backup, eventually.

If you have less basses you can dump money into pedals and synthesizers, and AMPS AND CABS.

19. The Truth. A bass sounds like a bass but a pedal can sound like anything. I'm on my first bass still and I've been through several amps and a whole bunch of effects looking for cool sounds.

20. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Without getting into whether or not to do this, if you do choose to remove the 'Squire' it is going to be hard to get a uniform finish without sanding the whole headstock - i.e. loosing the Fender logo too - especially as I would expect that there is a lacquer finish over the whole headstock.

If you do decide to do it, start with 200 grit to get down thro' the lacquer and past the decal and then go 400, 600, 800 up to at least 1500 (I'd go to 2000+). Then with a can of spray lacquer, having taped off the rest of the headstock, allow for only a little overlap (.5" or so) with the unsanded area, spray 5 or 6 coats, sanding with 1000 grit in between, or until you have the finish 'even' as I said before without doing the whole headstock it's never going to look/be perfect.

Materials wise you'll be looking at approx $30-40 and timewise (you should allow for at least 2hrs between sprays) it's going to take a bit too!

Is it all worth it? I'll leave that up to you to decide!:D

It's a good looking color/guard combination!