1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking at getting a new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by conner5833, Jul 22, 2012.

1. conner5833

conner5833

Jul 24, 2010
    New York City
    Hi,
    I'm sorry if threads like this appear frequently, I just would like some specific advice on creating a new bass rig. I have done some research on different heads (Eden, Markbass, Aguilar), and would like everyones opinion on what their favorite heads are. I have played through heads from all of those brands (Eden wt550, mb lmk3, not sure what model the Aguilar was). Anyway, so far I have really liked the eden, and have only kind of liked the others. If you have any recommendations for other heads, and/or for a cab (ive researched epifani, bergantino, aguilar, and bag end) that goes particularly well with a certain head, that would be greatly appreciated.

Conner

PS I'm sorry if this question is vague, I'm just trying to get as many opinions as I can. Also, I'd be playing primarily jazz and funk.

Thanks so much

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's like buying shoes. try a few on, and buy what fits you best. This is not rocket surgery. If you liked the Eden, then, there you go.

3. conner5833

conner5833

Jul 24, 2010
    New York City
    Okay. Thats simple enough. I've heard that the eden works well with a variety of cabs. Since I probably only have enough money at the moment to purchase one cab, do you think its wise to get a 112? The reason I ask is because I have heard very good things about both the aguilar and bergantino 122s. Going through either of those cabs with the wt550, would i still get a strong enough low-end?

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Eden has some really great products, I wouldn't hesitate to try the head with one (or all lol) of their cabs if you can. 1x12's are nice, but I personally prefer more cone surface area on a small cab like that. I've had better luck with 2x10s, but the 12's might do just fine for your applications (try them both!). You might get better low-end from the 2x10s, if you can't decide....just get the 2x12 instead!! :bassist:

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The secret to pairing amps and cabs (beyond power and resistance ratings) is simple... if I tell you though you have to promise not to tell anybody because we just don't get enough of these threads.

Buy whatever head you like and pair it with whatever cab you like... the results are undeniable and scientifically found.

6. Get any cab u like to match the Eden (if u like) amp. Try & get a higher rated wattage(at it's impedance ) cab than amp.
    example only :-
    amp puts out 250w @ 8 ohm & 500 @ 4 ohm- get 2 300w(or more) 8 ohm cabs

7. conner5833

conner5833

Jul 24, 2010
    New York City
    Okay, thank you. Is there anyone who has tried the wt550 through the Aguilar 112 or through the bergantino and could comment on either combination?

8. I think an important thing to remember is the cab might be the most important piece of gear you buy. Cheap bass through a cheap head, into a great cab? Great tone. Change to a crappy cab and you will have crappy tone.

9. If the Eden WT550 works for you, go for it. You're looking at some good quality cabs, so your choice of Aguilar or Eden cabs would be a good choice. The combination of the head and the cab is what will give you the tone you're looking for.

10. BassLift

BassLift

May 3, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    There are some phenomenal head/cab configurations, and those WT550s are friggin sweet. Definitely try out a variety, if you find a mixed rig that has what you're looking for then go with it. If you like the eden cabs (I know i do!) i would recommend either the D210xst or the D115. They are about $100-$150 more expensive than the 112s but will do much better handling what the WT550 will deliver.