Looking for a 4 string - and some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimmyb, Oct 25, 2003.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb "A lifetime spent in groove's pocket" Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    Hey Guys
    Here's the deal. I got my 5 ( Fender USA J-deluxe), I got my fretless (Fender USA P), What I'm looking for now to complete my arsenal is a versital 4 string. I play lots of funk, but rock/jazz/r&b too, so the bass needs to be able to accomodate all, or most, of tones needed. I love Fenders, but, since they're not payng me to use their gear, I'd like to try something eles. Finally, It has to be a USA bass (it's a union thing).
    Let me know what you got, what you think & what you've heard.
  2. I second that suggestion!

3. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    I would also suggest trying L-2000. It's an awesome bass and definitly the right one for the music you'll be playing.:bassist:
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Give us a hint or two.

How much can you spend??

Classic looks or Fancy top??

Passive or Active?
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I agree with the L-2000 suggestions. Another one to look at would be a Sterling - I find mine to be incredibly versatile.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 for the L-2000 suggestions, but yea, it still is kinda a Fender right? SO along that line a USA Jazz bass wouldnt hurt, but assuming you dont want something with "Fender" on the headstock i would go with maybe a Stingray, or Sterling fo r sligghtly different tone.
  7. jimmyb

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
    Thanx for the fast response. Looks like I'm off to a good start. I'm looking to spend around a grand (+ or -) and I think my next move is to get to my local music shop and try one of the L2000's. If anyone eles wants to chime in, I'd really appreciate it
  8. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i say Peavey Cirrus would be the excellent complement to your fender jazz.

More "different" from the Fender than the G&L
  9. jimmyb

Mar 12, 2003
    Elkton, MD
  10. CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    Why not buy an Fbass? Its a Jazz Bass with a sweet sound. Their 4 strings are back into production full time.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Too expensive?
  12. CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    I could see how it might be too expensive. But...maybe look for a used 4 string...I found my 5 used. But a good old American jazz will always do the trick
  13. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What about a StingRay? Completely different tone than the Fenders, but equally as classic and cool.
  14. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Why do you say it's a Jazz Bass?
  15. CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    I only say it's a jazz bass because the pickups are single coil/humbucking jazz pickups...with a a boost only Eq section...

I know at least for my fbass i only have single coils...no humbucking pickups...Active Passive...I saw the pickups before he put them into the covers. And it sounds like a jazz bass, just a slight different ring to them...I play a USA Fender Jazz bass so i compared them both...I like my F better still.
  16. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I play a Schecter and love it. Good luck. later Joe
  17. Myself, I've always liked my Cort Action bass. It has a nice tone, somewhat inexpensive, and good enough electronics. It's served me well since I've had it.
  18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY