1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a cab between $200-300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jekyll1776, Mar 26, 2009.

1. jekyll1776

jekyll1776

Mar 26, 2009
    yonkers, ny
    Well first, im new to the forum so this is kind of my introductory post.
    I recently got a new job thats paying pretty well, enough for me to have a little extra.
    I had a Behringer rig before when i was playing with a band. The 1x15 cab blew so that was that.
    So now i kinda want to get back into bass from playing guitar for a while.
    I dont need anything huge or anything to play in a band. Just something that can give me good smooth low tones in my apartment bedroom.
    I still have my old 450watt head so i could just buy a decent cab.
    Can any one recommend or give me some insight on the cabs on this search? Or on any others?
    Thanks in advance.:):bassist:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/bass-amp-cabinets?N=100001+338528+9

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  4. rjr225

rjr225

Nov 23, 2008
    ma.
    A while back i went on a similar quest to find a great REASONABLY priced bass cabinet.
    Keep in mind that i've played thru some decent cabs (Ampeg, Peavey,Fender,ect.) The more i researched, asked advice, studied spec.sheets and prices, i kept coming back to the Kustom Deep End 410 cab.Boy was i right! $299.00, worth every penny and more.Tight low end with plenty of clean lows for my 5 string.It's pretty light and comes w/ casters as well.One thing you should be aware of is the 400W rating.Sure, you can get better high end cabs for hundreds more$$ but in This case you Don't get what you pay for,you get more.Hope this helps.

5. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Or DIY and build your own! :D

6. Used Peaveys usually fall in this range and are a great bang for the buck.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    'nother vote for the Avatar SB112. Nice box, my most used by far.

8. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I have the Carvin 2x10 mentioned above and it's a nice, light and loud cab. Freq response is -3dB at 55Hz so I sit it on top of a sub. If you're wanting a bit more bottom end but not the hassle of another cab, I'd take their BRX series instead: BRX10.2NEO. It'll cost you a few more beer tokens but is a much more versatile cab.

9. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    How about used? I think there's a used Epifani T112 in the classified area that you could pick up for $300, right in your neighborhood.;)

Peace

10. jekyll1776

jekyll1776

Mar 26, 2009
    yonkers, ny
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    Ive thought of making a cab myself inthe past, but i dont have the time, or patience right now. lol.
    Im digging the carvin, exept i dont have an ebay acount thing. Im one of those people who think ebays a scam even tho i know tons of ppl who use it regularly without problem.
    Im also liking the GK 2x10 goldline series. Looks fancy.
    But my older crappy beringer was some metal coned driver. I went through two of them.
    Any insight on this cab?
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Goldline-2x10-Bass-Cabinet?sku=486512

11. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The GK doesn't look bad (no personal experience), but my preference would be to quit drinking long enough to make up the $74 difference and take the BRX10.2NEO (from the carvin factory site, not ebay) instead. Weighs 12 lbs less, better drivers, wider range.

12. AVATAR!!!

13. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    You don't have to order off off e-bay. If buying new, just call Carvin and place an order like you would from Musicians friend with a credit card. If you don't have one, have a family member order, just don't forget to hand them the cash.

I wouldn't relate GK to Behringer. Just because the cone is Aluminum, doesn't mean it's made by the same company. I don't have experience with any GK goldline stuff (GLX), but have heard the 2x10 lacks some oomph in the lower ranges. I will also reiterate what UncleFluffy said - If you're going to go with GK, spend a few more bucks and get the RBX as opposed to the GLX.

Or maybe consider saving a few bucks and getting the Ashdown MAG 210T -
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-210T-2X10-Deep-Bass-Cabinet-with-Tweeter?sku=605031

or Nemesis RS210
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nemesis-N210RS8-Extension-Cab.?sku=481817

Both supposed to be very good. Take your bass and go to a couple of shops and take sme for a test drive. Everyone has different tastes and opinions when it comes to sound. Only you know what you like the sound of.

14. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    +1 for Avatar

15. I'll second (or is it third now) the Avatar recommendation.

16. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    Try craigslist too. I was able to score an older (80's - early 90's) Mesa/Boogie 215 Road Ready cab there from a guy in Brooklyn. He was asking $250 but I offered him $200 and he accepted.

17. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    Acoustic - b115 is 199 at gc and sounds pretty good

18. Personally I have bought many things...bass related and not...off ebay. Never been burned, always have been totally satisfied, or more. FYI, if you go to ebay & look up Carvin bass, almost all the cabs, & many of the heads, are from Carvin themselves. I saved a ton of $$$ by buying directly from Carvin thru ebay, instead of off their website or by phone. And Carvin does have the neo equipped speakers on ebay also. Anything purchased there carries their warranty and all the rest. And you shouldn't have to use paypal if you don't want to sign up. All you would need is a credit card, which you would need to order from Carvin anyway. All signing up with ebay requires is an email address.