1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a challenge

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Disraeli Gears, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Simply put, I'm looking for more challenging music to play, and would love to hear what the TB community has to suggest Songs that I've learned recently that have provided a good amount of challenge were:

YYZ by Rush
    Roundabout by Yes
    Hair by Graham Central Station
    Portrait of Tracy by Jaco
    Continuum by Jaco (including the solo)

I'm also spending a lot of time reading up on theory, but I really need challenging music to PLAY as well. Suggestions would be great! Thanks :).

2. Yes - Close To The Edge. It's pretty crazy but fun to play once you get it down.

3. Jones_Stuff

Jones_Stuff

Nov 26, 2009
    Leicester, UK
    Try some Iron Maiden or Led Zeppelin.

I don't know what kinda music you prefer but that's what i like to play along to. :)

4. Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake.
    Just finished getting it down yesterday, fun as hell once you have it but takes a bit to figure it out.

5. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Jonas Hellborg - Solitude

It's on the Art Metal album and is utterly manic as far as right hand technique goes.

Edit: +1 for the Lamb of God, try Redneck as well. The bridge is neigh on impossible.

6. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Bach. The major cello suites were my first thought.

7. southpaw76

southpaw76

Feb 20, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    One word - Zappa

sp

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    get a teacher schooled in jazz concepts. that will give you something to do for a lifetime.

9. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    try whole notes on the root and make it truly groove