1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a Challenge.

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Isowits, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Isowits

Isowits

Dec 7, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I am very new to the music world, i just started playing bass 4 months ago, self taught. I'm basically just reading tabs and trying to find harder and harder songs so I can improve. I'd say im more than beginner, but not intermediate. I'm having trouble finding tabs that prove a challenge, but arent way above my skill level. Any suggestions would be fantastic, because I need some help. So far i've been playing rock and a little funk, that sort of area. Again any help I could get would be awesome.

2. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    Hmm. A nice way to kick things off is some Megadeth. Or black Sabbath... try Countdown to Extinction by Megadeth. Pretty easy, but nonetheless. If you really want a challenge, Holy Wars by Megadeth is another fun thing to play.
    Well, Megadeth in general is... lol sorry. YYZ is another difficult thing to play... If you get it down I'd be amazed! I myself, 11 months playing don't have it down yet. My excuse is my action :p

Oh. One last Megadeth fan suggestion: My Last Words. ;)

3. Ravagence

Ravagence

Sep 5, 2011
    Canada
    Try "Bikini Sports Ponchin" by Maximum the Hormone or even their self-titled song, "Maximum the Hormone". The bassist is pretty awesome.

4. sunnycal

sunnycal

Aug 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    How about some technique and technical training. That's a challenge. Learn some of the basics before the bad habits are too hard to break. Good playing is about more than playing notes!

5. Take it to the next level & ditch the tab. Find a tune you like, but you don't know already & figure it out by ear - it's really not that hard & will stand you in good stead.

Oh, & a +1 to tuition if you can afford it. A bit of theory will make the application a lot easier in the long run.

6. James Mobius

James Mobius

Feb 28, 2011
    Boston
    Learning to read is a challenge too, but very useful. While it's true Paul MacCartney didn't learn to read music properly til the 80's, and that didn't stop him becoming a billionaire, there's an infinite world of sheet music out there which isn't available in tablature, waiting to be explored. I really wish I'd learned to sight read when I was at Berklee, they probably really force you to nowadays, Ed Friedlander was a teacher of mine who strongly encouraged learning to sight read (there's a challenge!) I was idealistic and thought I'd only ever play my own music, but after I got over myself, I realised I could have gotten more studio work if I could read on the spot. now I say, yeah I can sight read, give it to me friday, I'll sight read it for you monday. d: