looking for a direct box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Jul 22, 2005.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i play a couple gigs where i play directly into the pa. im looking for a direct box to use for this. i have a sadowsky uv70 with a fabulous preamp and dont really think i need a direct box with an eq like the sadowsky di or a sansamp bass driver. but maybe i do. ive never had a di and dont really know what i need. the gig i need it for uses the bose pa with the tubes behind the band. i have just been bringing out me ashdown abm500 and using the direct out on it without a cab and it doesnt sound very good. thanx
  2. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    I just ordered an IMP2

If you want a top-of-the-line DI box, look for one with a Jenson transformer.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want a Countryman Type 85. I think Northern Sound and Light has pretty much the best price. It's slightly expensive, but it's a lifetime investment ... 1,000% bulletproof. Perhaps the most transparent of all active DIs. Get one or die.

Countryman Type 85 at NSL

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have an ART tube MP (mic preamp) that is also a DI. I bought it as a cheap mic preamp for my sax, but it works great with bass. For the price, it can't be beat.
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Aye, the Countryman Type 85. I've used those with great results in the studio. I'm thinking of picking one up myself someday.
  6. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

I find it strange that your Ashdown's DI out doesn't sound good. Perhaps it's what's past the DI (i.e. the PA setup itself) that's causing your grief? Make sure to adjust the settings on your bass for the situation, and not to what you "usually use" with your full rig (all heads and cabs are "voiced" even when set flat).

I'd second MungieBunga's call for a Countryman D.I. They're about $150 USD, and pretty much as transparent as they come. Barring a defective Countryman, if the sound from the Countryman sounds like crap, then what's going into the DI sounds like crap, no way around it.

If you have more to spend, I'd get a Demeter Tube DI -- quite a bit more money (around $500), and does colour your sound since the input is buffered to the output.

7. I also recommend the Countryman or if you need any tone shaping or want to be able to use JUST a DI and need to "personalize your DI sound" then I would suggest the Sansamp BDDI which will also give you a little grit when you need it.....

8. Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Try Hartke bass attack pedal it has really hot sound...
  9. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Look into the Radial JDI box, passive DI with jensen transformer. Really good.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, the Radial ones are really good. I've got a BassBone that sounds great.
  11. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    So how did prove the ABM DI on your first gigs with Sad you describe in your other thread? I am debating over getting AMB head.