1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a head set up - prog metal band

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by buckalori, May 18, 2011.

1. buckalori

buckalori

May 18, 2011
    London
    Endorsing Artist: Sandberg
    Hi guys,

I play in a progressive metal band call The Safety Fire (The Safety Fire | Facebook) and at the moment I have am playing through an Ashdown EVO II 500 and a zilla custom 4 x 10 cab. I am happy with the cab, but I am increasing feeling the Ashdown is leaving me lacking, often giving quite a muddy tone.

I will probably have about £700 ($1000) to play with what do you guys think the best bet would be? Also what are people's opinions on having a preamp poweramp set up rather than just a head with both?

Thanks guys!

Lori

The Safety Fire

2. not familiar with your speaker rig, that said, hard to sound muddy with a Gallien Krueger head. Maybe a used 700RB for that price range? 480 watts into 4 ohms, people love them on TB.

3. You could go all tube for a grand.

4. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I am currently very, very happy with my pre/power amp setup. For the pre I use a Sansamp RBI, for the power I use a Carvin DCM2000L and I run it through an Ampeg SVT-810e or an Ampeg SVT-410HLF, or both. I love the versatility of the amp: any ohm cab setup will work. Plenty of tone, plenty of power. If that ever changes I can make a change to 1 or the other to achieve whatever I'm looking for.

--jack

5. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    or go with a Tronographic Rusty Box and a HUGE wattage power amp for about that.

i've always loved the separate pedal-based preamp with a power amp setup. if you ever want to try a new pre tone it's so much cheaper to just get a new preamp than a whole head.

but i'm a NERD.

6. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Lori!!! It's awesome to see you here!! It's Pauly from Tides of Tangiers!! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! Used to talk to your guitarists all the time on myspace!!

EVERYONE CHECK THIS BAND OUT!!!

You'll get a lot of opinions.... from one metal guy to the next.... after having played everything under the sun... GENZ BENZ!!

For you; Shuttlmax 9.2 plus Uber810.

7. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    well there ya go. somebody that knows your stuff and has experience with what you're doing.

LISTEN TO THE SMART HUMAN.

8. I wasnt going to post in this thread till someone chimed in and suggested Genz Benz. I currently use the shuttle 6.0 and couldnt be happier. Not only that I get NON STOP compliments on the tones and shear power it puts out. Im never lost in the mix with GB!

So +1 for Genz Benz!

9. buckalori

buckalori

May 18, 2011
    London
    Endorsing Artist: Sandberg
    Thanks for all the comments guys! Will definitely have a look at some of these, in particular the Genz Benz!

Pablo! Great that you know the band! I will check your stuff out now, who was it you used to talk to? Dez?

10. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Dez.

Been fans of you guys for a long time. We played a few Shows with Periphery and I heard you guys finally got signed...

good to talk to you!

Srsly.... GENZ BENZ. Take a look at my profile.... we play a slightly faster version of what you guys do... same tuning... and I've tried everything there is to try...

For basses: LAKLAND & ERNIE BALL (ceramic-loaded)

For Amps: GENZIE ALL DAY LONG

Ive used Ampeg ( nearly every model plus the preamps,) Ashown (former endorser) BBE, SWR, Orange, Aguilar, EBS and tons tons more.... GENZ