1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a lightweight 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sarnac, Mar 9, 2008.

1. sarnac

sarnac

Mar 8, 2008
    I am certainly in the minority here. I have ever owned only one bass at a time (I know this seems bizarre). I am aware that is a limitation and makes me inexperienced with regard to the various tonal qualities of other bases out there. But, here in this forum I now have your various experiences to draw from.

I’m considering buying a different bass, would appreciate any valuable input. Some background info is merited. I’ve been playing bass in a band for over 4 years now. Three members, we play country, and 50’s-60’s rock n roll (mostly). I often play lead breaks on the bass (this probably also seems bizarre to you all, but it works quite well for us for many of our selections).

Currently own a Cort Curbow 5 string. I had Mexican Fender 4 string before that and I considered it heavy, unwieldy. I am considering going to a six string bass, because I think the versatility of jumping from low note sequences to high notes would be easier without making long position shifts (you can correct me if I’m off bass with this assumption).

Live in a very small town, I would like to be able to phone ahead to the guitar stores in the big cities where a large selection is available (1 to 3 hours drive). BEFore traveling, I would like some ideas on what guitars to try.

Prerequisites. I am looking to stay under $1000. Maybe more if I find my true bass love.
    Must be lightweight (I suffer back pain after every gig (practices too)), and comfortable to play while sitting as well as standing. A solid ‘B’ string is important. A neck that is thin and narrow if possible. I live in the ‘north country’; the guitar will experience huge temperature changes when traveling.

I thank you in advance for your assistance.
    Most sincerely, sarnac

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

In your price range, an ultra light six is probably not available. The lightest that I have played come from makers like Zon and Elrick, among others.

Your best bet is probably something like an Ibanez Soundgear 6. They have thin, narrow necks, and with the right strings, have a pretty solid low B.

You might also look at Schecter, they also have a narrow neck, although the profile is not quite as thin as a Soundgear.

Dean Edge 6 strings are pretty light too, and the neck is similar to the Schecter.

Another possibility is a used Peavey Cirrus 6. It blows all of these basses away, and if you are patient, you can get a used 6 for around $1000 on Talkbass or Ebay. I have even seen them go on Ebay for under $900 a few times, but you have to be REALLY patient for that to happen. The neck has a little thicker profile than the Ibanez, but is still very thin. It is also a couple of millimeters wider than the Ibanez. Oh, and the low B on the Cirrus is in the upper echelon as far as solid B strings go.

All of these weigh from 9 - 10 lbs, which of course will vary from one example to the next, depending on how dense the body wood of the actual bass in question is.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Whoa, you must be my twin or something.

I've only owned one bass at a time, except for very rare, short, time periods.
    I used to play in a small band, with no electric guitarist.
    I used to do lead breaks. I still do.
    I started on a Cort Curbow 5.
    I dislike the Fenders.
    I live in a city state that is small and has a crappy bass selection.

I now play a 6.

I must tell you, there are few "superlight" 6ers out there. My Zon is light, and i would recommend it to you because of the stable neck, but it's JUST slightly out of your range, AND its still about as heavy as a P bass.

As embellisher said, a Ibby Prestige SR6 will run just about $1000. its light and the neck is quite thin. The Ibanez Prestige BTB6, which is chunkier and i think heavier, is also about $1000 and has a great B-string, partly because its 35".

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    My old Carvin LB76 was pretty light. I think around 8-9 pounds

Not super light, but not bad for the price.

5. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    lightest 6 i ever played is my MTD but thats more than $1000...2nd lightest 6 was the Korean MTD and that's just roughly over 1000 CAD.

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Look for a used MPG Level 6. My Level 5 is the lightest bass in my herd (even lighter than my Godin A4!!!). Very versatile basses too

7. sarnac

sarnac

Mar 8, 2008
    I thank you all for your replies so far,
    embellisher, barkless, fullrange, stranger, and my apparent twin ehque (there are more of us out there ill bet, ehque).

I value redundancy as much as new suggestions, so if anyone does concur with previous suggestions, please do not hesitate to say so.

ty

8. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    does anyone know the weight on the yamaha trb 6 strings?

otherwise i'd suggest those.

9. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I played an Ibanez SR505 and it was extremely light... I'd imagine the 6 would be similar. With the left over cash you can upgrade those electronics :)

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    this thread is six years old.
    if the trb6 is the john myung model, it's heavy. at least 11lbs.