1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a smaller rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Keegsdad, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Keegsdad

Keegsdad

Aug 25, 2009
    Hello all,

I play in a classic rock band and looking for ideas on downsizing my rig. While I like it, I am looking for alternatives that will come close to what I have now. Which is a Eden WT800 head into 2 Mesa Cabs 2x10 and 1x15.

I still like the Eden head but the cabs are heavy....would be open to something lighter.....thoughts.....play through PA at clubs.....

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    a pair of neo 210's?

3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2-12T with 12" expension Neo Speaker. Those 2 12's put out some VOLUME. Definite beef in the tone as well with the new 3DPM and speakers. Ed Friedland has a great review on Youtube.

4. Whats your budget?

As you go smaller, to maintain capability you pay for what you get.

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    There are lots of threads on this basic subject. Give the search function a look-see.

With PA support, a single 15/6 (Kappa Lite 3015LF & 18Sound 6ND410) or 115 with high frequency/tweeter (Kappa Lite 3015, non-LF, or Faital Pro 15PR400 with Selenium D220Ti) should work nicely. If you still don't think that's enough (although I really think it would be), do a 212 with Eminence Kappa Lite 3012HOs.

6. Keegsdad

Keegsdad

Aug 25, 2009
    I am going to a smaler rig due to getting tired of moving heavy gear. Regarding budget I am okay.....

I like Eden but I did hear Genz Benz was a good option....

7. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    GK cabs are light, affordable, and great sounding. Give them a look.

8. My GK Neo 2x12 was great, so that's an option. Markbass has really great stuff too (I use a CMD 102P combo, and it's light, loud and full of tone) . Aguilar and Genz-Benz have great options too!

9. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Another vote for genz benz here. ;)

10. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    no budget restrictions? svt cl, svt 810, and two roadies. done.

11. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I have Eden WT550 head, and a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 head, I love my Eden, but I can understand why people move from Eden to Genz Benz! I'm thinking about selling my Eden and buying a Shuttle Max 12.2

12. swr super redhead!

13. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I think in the course of most peoples bass playing careers we have periods of over building our rigs and under building our rigs...In the past I've tried to shrink my local rig way down, but couldn't deal with the smaller sound.

The best amp and cab designers are helping a lot in that department. Shockingly big sound from tiny rigs. My local gig rig sounds really full, is super versatile, works at high SPL and for quieter gigs and the whole thing weighs under 50lbs, including cables, tuners, everything...we're getting there :)