1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for advice on building a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaytee877, Aug 6, 2012.

1. I know there are already a few threads on here regarding cabinet construction and i'm making my way through anything that seems useful, but i just though i'd post and see if anyone can offer advice on my specific situation...

I recently acquired a 300W Peavey Mark III Bass head, and i have a pair of 15" drivers, which i sadly can't really tell you anything about (they are a strange, old make - Custom sound "Truckers"!?.. dont ask!?) And i'm looking to build either a 2 x 15 enclosure, or a separate box for each.

Now - and i know some may hate me for this - i'm (obviously!) not too fussed about getting the best quality sound, so theres not too much need for a finely tuned/calibrated box, which would be difficult anyway with these seemingly non-existant drivers.
    I'm playing for an experimental/noise rock band, i'm happy with the sound i'm getting at the moment but we became a 2-piece this year so the bass is now the 'frontman' in a way, so i simply need to be louder!? i use a lot of effects/distortion most of the time, so as long as i have a bit of low end punch and audible mids i'll be happy for now.
    When using one of these drivers in my current combo (an OHM GA125, which i pretty much re-built out of spare parts... i know, i know, i don't know where i find all this strange old gear but i just love it!?) i decided the drivers were best in a sealed enclosure - so i shouldn't have to worry about porting.

I simply want some advice on cabinet size, materials, construction tips and basically anything i should be wary of when building, as my technical knowledge on this side of things is very basic. I think i'd be happier having the drivers in separate boxes so i don't have to lug the whole rig to small venues - but whatever is easiest and least likely to explode is good for me!?

Any Advice will be welcome and most appreciated... apologies for the huge post!
    Thanks,
    Jay