1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking For An Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JonnyDistance, Aug 24, 2012.

1. I'm a guitarist more than I'm a bassist is the first thing I'd like to point out, so PLEASE forgive me if I'm not super Bass Amp savvy just yet.

I was at Scobby Bott's house some time ago, and wanted to demo a new guitar and pedal, but alas, I had no amp, so I plugged into his Ampeg SVT 7 Pro, and something wonderful happened...

... I fell in love with his amp tone...

Since then, I've been looking at bass amps as my golden nugget of sonic sunshine. I'm actually tempted to sell my beloved Vox VT-50 and a couple pedals to get a half decent bass amp, which leads me to my question:

Any decent, fairly cheap bass amps out there? I'd need something that can hold up with a pretty LOUD band. I know my main goal is a Verellen Meat Smoke, but that's out of my price range right now. I know I love Ampeg, and I'm really getting into that nice, grungy Sunn sound. I'm looking for something both crisp AND doomy (think Red Fang, Russian Circles, Queens Of The Stone Age, Thrice, etc.)

Any suggestions?

2. Just to clarify, are you asking for recommendations on bass amps which you will use for guitar?

3. Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I mean, it helps that I play bass too, and could use the amp for both (my bass and Vox get along okay, but it's missing a special "something").