1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking For New Bass (need advice)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kickstand13, May 5, 2010.

1. Kickstand13

Kickstand13

May 5, 2010
    Hey all I have been playing for 7 years mostly for churches and small gigs etc. I have had a Fender Jazz 4-string but sold it for a Yamaha TRB1005 when I went 5-string. I miss the sound of the fender and the big power without much tone that I get from the TRB is getting old. I am Looking for a bass that has a sound more to my liking. It has to be a 5-string though.

As I said I mostly play in church and as such I have to play basic mainstream rock style (Ex. The Fray, Jeremy Camp, Matt Redman, CHris Tomlin) and fast fingerstyle (Hillsong, Desperation Band). I am looking for a Bass that has a big clean sound and some punch that still has some definition when playing fast.

Price range is $500-800 unless its a fender in which case I can get a deal on something up to $1200 or so.

The bass I am currently looking at is a Ibanez SR505 with the Hi/Lo switch on the mid channel. Any Suggestion/Opinions?

2. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    The obvious answer is a Fender American Standard V. I played a like new '98 that was just great. Very playable, nice low B, great sounds throughout, mechanically sound, balanced well, etc. If you like Jazzes and Fivers, you'll love a Jazz V.

3. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't forget Spector makes a couple models in that price range too.

4. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Ibanez SR505 is a good choice... if you like the sound. Also, the 505 is the only SR I would recommend to YOU since it's the only SR with a mahogany body and in your price range. But like Johnny said, you seem like the Fender dude... go for a Jazz V

5. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I got a Ibby SR485 with a Mahogany body. I got it used for like 160 a about a year and a half ago because it had a couple of scratches. You can find them in great shape used for about $280.

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    If you like Fender...get a Fender!

Dan K.

7. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    The new Lakland Skyline models

8. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I would say a Fender Jazz V, if you liked your previous Jazz. Fender may not be the absolute best, but the resale will atleast allow you to get somewhat close to what you paid for it.

Ever looked at the Sterling 5? If you can find a used one, it may fit your price range.

I love the Jazz, but I find my Sterlings have a ton of presence, and cut through any mix.
    Just my .02

BTW, since you listen to Cjristian music; do you ever listen to Total Axess with Wally?

9. nolimitzbass

nolimitzbass

Sep 29, 2009
    My 2 cents, G&L L-2500

10. dionysusolympus

dionysusolympus

Apr 13, 2010
    this. and if a Fender, then get it active, I think, will be your best option imo.

11. Kickstand13

Kickstand13

May 5, 2010
    Love the sound of the Lakeland 55-60 but they seem out of my price range.

To everyone who suggested fender I really love their sound but I have heard that the lower end fender V's have bad low B tone due to their shorter scale. Any experience with this?

12. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    this is a good idea too lol, I was saying that the 505 is the only mahogany SR in your price range out right now... but there are tons of others used.