1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for Out of Print Recordings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nickbass79, Aug 6, 2018.

1. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello all! I've been on the hunt for an out of print CD of Michael Manring's Thonk album. That CD was a huge influence on my earlier playing, but I lost the CD along the path of life.

Do any of you still have this?

I contacted Mr. Manring to see if he had any left over copies, no joy.

Lets keep this thread going so we can pool our networks to help out anyone else looking for out of print recordings.

Cheers!

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Uhh, EBay?

3. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks...Looked a few months ago, nothing. there are some used copies.

Figured I'd ask here first.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Go to payplayfm.com. They have it in digital form. Just create an account and add money to it. They have tons of stuff including hard to find. Download the files and burn your own cd.

5. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
  6. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Excellent. Exactly what I was looking for. I don't like Ebay. Thanks!

7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT

mikewalker, FugaziBomb and nickbass79 like this.
  8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm not a huge fan of EBay, either.
    Recently, they did bail me out on a couple of OOP things I had been looking for...price was a bit higher than I had hoped. Fast delivery, though.

I'm still looking for-
    Ted Curson - I Heard Mingus

I still have the LP; someday I'll probably burn it myself.

9. gricko

gricko

Mar 29, 2004
  10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  11. diegom

diegom

Jun 18, 2008
    discogs is awesome. Just watch out you don't spend all your money with so many out-of-print to be found in there! ;)

Diego

12. Discogs.com

Not only can you buy, you can keep track of your collection and wantlist. Amazing site.

13. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Speaking of out of print recordings, I still have an original 45 (1963-64) of the Beatles "I Want to Hold Your Hand" with photo slip cover ...just saying...

14. I recently purchased 'Equilibré' by Michael Manring and David Cullen through a US seller on Amazon. I ended up with a new, sealed copy of a record I hadn't owned in years. It's some of Michael's best work and holding such a record in your hands really is like treasure.

At the same time, I also bought a new copy of 'Pump It!' by Jeff Berlin. I consider this to be one of the best rock fusion albums ever, and I lost my original copy years ago when I moved house. To be reunited with such a tremendous body of music really means a lot to me. I paid three times now what I paid for that record a decade ago!

That's another one that is long out of print. The label, Passport Jazz, folded years ago, around the early 90's, I believe. All their master tapes were held in a warehouse and allegedly destroyed in a fire, though whether or not it was an intentional fire, I don't know. One account I have read suggests that the tapes were simply destroyed by the warehouse owners, apparently unclaimed by the label and considered worthless by the warehouse owners. It's a rather cruel way to think of things ending. My friend, Jeff Berlin, really gave it his all on those records. Sad to think the tapes ended up there.

nickbass79 likes this.
  15. Soulseek

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dug the Passport Jazz stuff, flat out non-apology fusion music!:D

JimK and India_Sierra like this.
  17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I still have a few of those Passport LPs.
    Pump It is one of the them; Players, too...Berlin-Lavitz-Scott Henderson-Steve Smith?
    And the early Steve Khan Eyewitness stuff on LP and cd.
    I also have the Fents LP and cd.

India_Sierra likes this.
  18. I actually have that one!

Or at least I THINK I still do!

It's still packed with all my other CDs, since we're still essentially "homeless" in my In-laws' place until we get this house situation sorted out...

Otherwise, I'm sure we'd be talking sooner rather than later!

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Amazon has an awful lot of out of print CDs for sale through third party sellers. Sometimes you pay through the nose and have to decide how badly you want it. I've bought a few dozen OOP recordings that way, just bought one yesterday in fact.

jerry likes this.