Looking for REAl LOW END

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Somebassguy, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Any suggestions on which bass puts out the deepest lows?
  2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My G&L 2500 puts out some of the sickest lowend I've heard....
  3. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa

Yes, preferably 4, ;)
  4. P bass with an EMG pickup
  5. If you want some good lows, look at gibson (or epiphone i guess) Especially the ones with that giant humbuckerin the neck position. the long scale SG or even the hollowbody (sorry, i don't really know the EBs!) but they can give some serious low end. also at my guitar store, they have a cool ovation bass, it has a humbucker in the neck position, and the thing is huge! definate low end there if you can find one!
  6. The gibson EBO is a weak weak sick bass.

I had a early 70's model and I hated it, I bought it for $40 Canadian from my music teacher, and sold it for $740 Canadian on ebay.

;) Don't miss it one bit.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    If I had to make a completely subjective and unsupported suggestion, it would be that your amp setup would dictate how low you can go.

As far as I see it, if you don't have a cab setup that can handle the uber-low frequencies you're looking for, it won't matter _what_ bass you're playing.
  8. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Go hollowbody. The Epiphone Jack Casady is a good contender for huge low end. Failing that, you could go for Jauqo III-X's idea and string up a bass as a sub-contra-bass, with low E being the highest string on the bass!

Russ :bassist:
  9. Huge low end = Roscoe

I've heard nothing that even compares.
  10. a 70's SVT through a 2X15 cab. then get a P bass with flat wounds strings on it. that is as much thump as you will ever want to hear.
  11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    A newer Rickenbacker with the high output pickups with the right rig will rumble on a high G. Mine sure as hell does.
  12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Here's another vote for Roscoe! There's no question about it, they have the strongest lows that I have ever heard a bass have, and I have been fortunate to play a lot of basses. look no further than Roscoe, you won't be disappointed.
  13. Of all the basses I've owned:

Squire Affinity P-Bass (my first)
    MM Stingray
    MM Sterling
    MIJ Jazz Fretless
    MIM Jazz
    HW1 Jazz
    Essex P/J
    Warwick Thumb B/O
    Yamaha BB1500A
    MIA P-Bass

The P-Basses have been by far the bassiest basses that ever bassed IMHO :D

Big, fat, thick, round, BASS!
  14. mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    For _deep_ clear lows you want the hardest woods possible. Them Fenders and g&l:s do put out mighty lows but not quite so deep (nor very clear). My Warwick with bubinga body has deepest lows I've ever heard on any bass. It's mostly noticeable with high quality studio monitors. I compared my Jazz and P to the Warwick and they weren't even close.

Still, if I want 'bassier' sound on a gig I take the P.
  15. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Lowest low end? One word. DINGWALL! End of discussion.
  16. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    I've just bought a Marcus Miller 5 string.

The low end on this thing is unbelievable. I have the bass boost on 0 because the bass is enough as it stands.

I have thrown it all the way up and played but bass is just too stomach churningly low

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Roscoe definitely has the low B down. The MM Stingray has a ton of low end if you are looking at 4 string.