Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking For Something Different

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkfish01, Aug 7, 2005.

1. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello all. I currently play with a Spector Performer 4 hooked up to a Behringer BX3000T (I know I know) with an Avatar 2x12. The Spector is great for fingerstyle and slap, but she just lacks the growling tone that most pop-punk players use (Blink 182, Fall Out Boy). Now, I'd like to expand upon my pick playing finesse, since that's what people really like to hear these days, and that's the kind of music I enjoy playing (easy, catchy, growly basslines). Now, I plan on selling an old 99 MIM Fender Jazz to a friend (she's more trouble than she's worth) and with that money I'd like to get a nice, cheap bass. I've been looking at Essex basses, and I think I would like a short scale precision with a maple neck. Would this be good for pick playing, or should I go with standard 34" scale? I only worry about not getting enough of the thundrous lows with a short scale bass. Would tone be effected by the short scale? Thanks guys!

2. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    I think you're on the right track with the P-Bass. You'll definitely get a good growly tone if you pick aggressively. I'd steer clear of the short scale though. Shorter scales tend to be "thuddier", and lack definition, so it's not going to be as growly as you'd like. Go long scale.

As far as brand, I hear lots of good things about the Essex's for the money, but there are a number of options to look into. I think a Fender Standard would do you*right for not a whole lot of dough.

3. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Anyone else? I think having a short scale bass would be very comfortable to use for pick playing, and just a lot easier in general. The smaller profile would be a nice departure from the sizeable Spector. Is the tone difference really that bad, or can it be easily fixed with some EQing?