Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for something new

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Asaf, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    Hi everybody, im hearing all day long music and i got lots of cd's from rock to classical music.
    recently i decided i want something new, something different to get me to hear some bass again all day long while i do stuff, but...i own all of the famous bassplayers albums : jaco, wooten, marcus miller, jonas hellborg, mark king, stuart zender, christian mcbride, steve bailey, mark egan, bootsy, jamerson, oteil, michael manring, kai eckhardt,bunny brunel, adam nitti, alain caron, victor bailey etc. etc. anyway im looking for something new, something unknown...can you give me some names ?

thanks !!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Screaming Headless Torsos(debut album...w/ Fima Ephron on bass. Also, Ephron's solo disc, Soul Machine + his anything by Klezmer band, The Hasidic New Wave).
    I dunno...being from Israel, I'm assuming you may like the HSN. Read about them at www.allmusic.com

If you're seeking something in a different genre than what you listed-
    Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band. They play both types of music...Latin & Jazz.

Check out some of the M-BASE musicians & what they're about...(Steve Coleman, Robin Eubanks, David Gilmore, Lonnie Plaxico, etc).

If you want to annoy the folks at work-
    Peter Brotzmann's Chicago Tentet + Two(Broken English, Short Road To Nowhere, etc)...Free Jazz with a Big Band. Quite noiz-ey!

3. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    Hi Jim,
    thanks for your replay...about fima and Screaming Headless Torsos - i know them :D and i also had fima's album and didn't like it much allthough i really like his other stuff.
    im not into the hasidic stuff - not my taste.

i'll check out Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band - sounds good.

thanks man !! :)

4. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Check out Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse. Guaranteed to be new and different:D ;)

5. buckethdd

buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    you probably know of gary willis (tribal tech, solo), but have you checked out sean malone (cynic, gordian knot, solo)? also if you are into the more crazy technical metal type stuff you might check out lars norberg from spiral architect and pete perez from spastic ink.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I second Gordian Knot.

I also suggest Lightning Bolt.

Now, I talk much too much about Lightning Bolt (see sig and most of my recent posts) but I really enjoy their music. Though, given the previous suggestions, they may be a bit of a plunge for you. But they're a fun group nonetheless, creative and manic.

7. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    yeah i know sean malone - he's great !!
    some guy at the local music store told me about him.

also know gary willis :) great bassplayer - i got a recording of some japennese keyboard player with him and dave weckl - amazing !! (although i always thought that weckl was too technical in this album he's great !!).

about cannibal corpse - nahhh...im out of the metal world, used to hear that stuff - not anymore.

Lightning Bolt ? ok i'll check them out.
    thanks !!

by the way if you want to hear some great bass playing check out these 2 bands : O'FUNKILL'O - spanish funk band - nice bassplayer and WEAPON OF CHOICE - great lines by the bassplayer kinda old school.