Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for strings for eub...

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by kingofalldrunks, Jan 21, 2005.

1. kingofalldrunks

kingofalldrunks

Jan 21, 2005
    hello, i'm new here and am doing some browsing to try and answer this question on some old threads, but maybe someone can give some quick advise. i'm looking for some strings to use with the p-bass pickups on my bass. i will be playing mostly in rockabilly-ish sorts of styles and need something with a lot lower tension than the steel strings that are on there now(not sure what they are, but there is a ton of tension). i'd like to not spend a fortune, if possible. thanks a bunch.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi, and welcome!
    It'd be best to first identify your strings and then suggest other things.
    What are the colours of the silk at both the ball-end (tailpiece) and peg-end, please?

Since you specified a magnetic pickup, you'll want to get steel strings.

I'm already thinking of Corellis in M gauge since they're very low tension. The nickels (380M) are cheaper than the tungstens (370M).
    A set of 380M sells for $65 at Juststrings.com.
    You can get even lower tension with solo-tuning strings.
    The solo-tuning nickels would be 390M series. (the 390TX has higher tension)
    Lemur Music sells the set 390TX for $78 and Quinn Violins for $90.

Thomastik Superflexibles (blue ends) are also affordable.
    A set of solo Superflexibles sells for $84 at Bob's House of Basses and $95 from Lemur Music.

3. kingofalldrunks

kingofalldrunks

Jan 21, 2005
    red at the tailpiece, yellow-blue-grey-green(e-a-d-g) at peghead. i will try and post a picture of it pretty soon. i don't firgure there are many like it around--it's a flying v e.u.b. it is a product of my sick imagination and was built by steve wishnevsky. it's pretty damned fun and real cool. i am more of an electric player, but i've always loved the upright, so i thought i'd give it a shot.

4. kingofalldrunks

kingofalldrunks

Jan 21, 2005
    thanks for the advice.

5. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    These are Super-Sensitive Red Labels.
    The stiffest bass string on Earth!
    No wonder why you want to get something floppier! :)
    As I wrote previously the least expensive line is the Corelli nickel, but they're very good strings anyway. (although the E may be a bit strange...)
    The 380M would be a good choice, IMHO, and is one of the most affordable on the market. Thin string, very easy to play, and nickel has even better magnetic properties than steel!
    They sound bright.
    I don't know if you want a dark or bright tone.
    I think the solo-tuning set (390M) would be much too floppy. (tuned e-a-d-g)
    Regards,
    François

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    hey there francois,

i have helicore pizz light gauge on my messsenger. i dig them well enough, but i was toying with the idea of spiro solo strings on there for less tension... the pizz light gauge still feel kind of stiff i think. or am i just imagining it? i was also thinking of some kind of solo gauge synthetic core string, like obligato, just for kicks, but i want sustain and clarity like eddie gomez! i guess i'll probably go with the spiro's because that's what he uses, and also they probably last longer than the obligato's. (i've had spiro's on other basses for a few years and they still sounded good.) the helicore pizz strings have been on there for a few years too, and they still sound fine, i'm kind of hesitant to take them off because they're "good enough", but i'm hoping for better. what do you think?

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Really? Stiffer than Spiro Starks? Ooh, I might have to try these! :D What kind of sound do they get for pizz?

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I used Corelli's on my EUB when i had one... They sounded quite good.

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't know about the other Corelli strings (other than the 370F), but I have 1/2 sized Corelli 300S on my Ergo 4 string. I bought them from Southwest Strings for like $43. Hella cheap. Hella nasal too. No wonder I don't play that thing anymore. 370F was ok on my DB tho.

10. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I have no experience with Helicore pizz strings, in any gauge, and very little with solo Spiros, so I can't comment, sorry!
    When I think of low tension, I think of Corellis and also solo strings.

11. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    They use a solid steel core. Very rigid.
    I never tried them.
    I only read negative reviews about them though.

12. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've been using Helicore Hybrid lights for a few months and find them comfortable to play, with a better E string than Spiro Weichs.

I'd probably agree that Corelli M's would be very light...Obligatos are comfortable, too, if much thicker.