1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for Warwick sound withough Warwick pricetag

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SamuraiTheta, Mar 3, 2008.

1. SamuraiTheta

SamuraiTheta

Nov 29, 2007
    I'm looking to spend around $600 on a new bass. G&L 2500 keeps coming up in conversation, but I just want to get one more opinion before I make the final purchase.

What suggestions do you have on a bass with a comparable sound to a Warwick (corvette) in my price range?

2. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    The G&L fits the bill

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    A Fender jazz. It might not have the same (lower) midrange growl, but I always thought Corvettes just sounded like thumpy jazz basses.

4. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I'm sure you could get a used Corvette for $600. Check the classifieds.

5. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Preowned Corvette Standard. Or an Ibanez SR500, 505, or 506 (depending on whether you want a 4, 5, or 6 string.) Those basses have similar woods, particularly neck woods, to Warwicks. Newer ones have an easy access flip-up battery compartment for quick battery changes.

http://ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=SR500

6. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Both G&L 2500 and Warwick Corvette is great in different way.
    If you want more tone variation etc, i go for G&L. But u can't go wrong with either one.

7. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    If you are looking for a Warwick with out the Warwick price tag then definatly look in the classified for a passive corvette standard. Played one the other day and IMHO this warwick has the closest tone to a passive jazz. Check em out man. Maybe a rockbass?

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    You should be able to get a used Corvette 5er for around $600.

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The G&L is very growly, more so than a Warwick. I think that' why people make the recommendation for one, but I wouldn't say it sounds like a Warwick at all. I have an L-2500 that I love, but I wouldn't own another Warwick if it was given to me. I'd just sell it to buy something else.

10. SamuraiTheta

SamuraiTheta

Nov 29, 2007
    Okay, I should have clarified this originally. I want the sound of an ACTIVE Warwick in the price range of $600. I know this doesn't happen, but I want something close. I went to guitar center and played a passive Warwick to much dismay. I could make pickups for my Cort that would please me better. Not knocking Warwick pickups at all, I have just heard the sound of home made pickups and what they can do, and I like them better.

Long Story Short: I found a great deal on the perfect L-2500 in Blueburst in my hometown. I'm nabbin' it.

Matt

11. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Ibanez SR series (bubinga body) with modded MECs

12. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    A big +1, I actually went from a Warwick sound to a Fender Jazz Sound.

13. Doughd54

Doughd54 I wanna rock. rock.

Nov 30, 2006
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    I just bought an 07' warwick corvette used for US $599 so you should be able to get a real warwick in your price range no problem. Ebay is your friend.

14. 14736251

14736251 Guest

just got one new for 850