1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking to buy some powered monitors for live use

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by slap-a-da-bass, Aug 26, 2012.

1. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    I have a couple older pv112 monitors, that are really bad sounding & even with a 31 band EQ on each one, there are feed back problems. I also have an EV elx112p that sounds great and doesn't even need an EQ, and there's rarely feedback issues. The EV's are a little pricey for me. I'm wondering what else is out there at a good price. I'm looking at replacing my current three monitors & purchasing four new ones. Our band is starting to play better quality gigs & I'd like to have a more polished look with our gear.

Any experience with the Mackie Thump 12's? Alto TS110a or TS112a? Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks,

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm using B-Stock Thump 12's from AMS. Under 300 a copy with the Mackie travel bag. They sound pretty good. It isn't in the same league as my QSc K10's but given I bought 3 pf the Thums for less than 1 K10, no real suprose there. I have put kick theough themat moderate volume with no issues. They are pretty light so while theymeet my needs volume wise, someone else might top them out.

I would consider buying 1 and putting it through it's paces to see if it will meet your needs. You can always pay the freight back to AMS if it isn't the thing for you...

3. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    I picked up 3 of the restock Thump 12's a couple weeks ago off MF Stupid Deal if the Day for 199.99 each and free shipping.

Used them once so far. Worked well.

4. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The QSC's are really hard to beat. While not inexpensive, the price won't kill you either. The K-10's will get the job done for sure. The K-12's will put a smile on your face!!:) IMHO, at the moment, they're the cream of the crop in the semi pro line of powered speakers. I'm sure they're others out there the would do the job for you, but my money's on the QSC's. (literally)

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I would love to have K12's as monitors but 2700 vs 900 in the bags ? Too rich for my blood. I do like the K 10 tops and Ksub as mains a bunch...

6. We use JBL powewed monitors and they
    are great. Maybe look for some of the 10", 12", or 15" on the used market. New they are very pricey.

7. gotmule?

gotmule?

Apr 24, 2008
    I have been using Alto SXM112As and love them! They are really small, light, and give me more than enough power with some pretty good sound. I have used them for quite a few gigs and have never been disappointed with the sound quality.