1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to upgrade my pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MiamiFins42, Apr 17, 2010.

1. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    I have a Fleabass with an EMG 35DC shape pickup (don't know the stock brand) and I feel like dropping something in there that could give it more punch, a nice growl, and also good for some percussive style slap riffs. If it really deepens the low end, even better. I like my lows :bassist:
    So, the pickups I've been looking at are the Seymour Duncan Basslines SSB-4 and the Legacy Pickups model that is a replacement for 35DC size pickups.

Also on that topic, I have been considering putting in a preamp for a nice boost. Either a Seymour Duncan STC-2 (A sub question for that...would an active preamp be a good pair with the SSB-4? Or should I stick with the passive preamp/passive pickup combo?)
    Aguilar preamps are also pretty popular so I've considered those. I'm not very familiar with the models, but I suppose any that comes in 2 knob or 3 knob would be a good fit.
    Anybody have any experience with any of those pickups/preamps? Thanks!

2. JoeFern

JoeFern

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm not exactly a fan of active preamps/pickups, so I would highly recommend the Seymour Duncan SSB-4. If you want a deep, heavy sound, their quarter pounder jazz pickups are excellent as well if you want to pair the two up. Just my thoughts.

3. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    When I want a dark tone I use Bart's pickup. You can go to there site to see if they have what you're looking for. I like there pre-amp's too.