Looking to write Prog/Groove metal Bass lines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Skylear, May 17, 2018.

1. Skylear

Skylear

Dec 30, 2017
    townsville
    So, Im looking to start writing Prog/Groove metal bass lines in the style of bands like Gojira and Slipknot. The one thing that has me stuck is i dont know where to start or how to start really.

What ive started with basically is im writing in the Speed of the main riff in Flying whales (Gojira) And the style of Slipknot

Im writing in Drop C on a 5 string ( A C G C F ) with Distortion

2. As no one has jump on this post ---- explaining non standard tunning and answering your question gets complicated. And ends up being a little beyond one post on a forum.

I stay in standard tuning and the piano and I work out what key we need to be in to play along with the guys using the non-standard tuning.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2018
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    When you play along to Gojira and Slipknot songs, what specifically do you like about the bass lines? Are there specific chords/scales/intervals/rhythms/etc. that catch your ear? Try "borrowing" musical ideas from your favorite bands and rearranging them in new combinations.

And don't focus too much on the tuning of your bass. Tunings are simply tools that we use to execute our musical ideas. You have to have an idea first. Maybe instead of trying to write a bass line on the bass, put your bass down and do some singing. Record yourself singing different ideas, and then when you come up with something good, then transcribe it and learn to play it on the bass.

Also, do you play with other musicians? Jamming with your friends is a great way to come up with fresh musical ideas.

BassChuck likes this.
  4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    It's all about the riff.