1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looks are deceiving?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nutz4Bass, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Nutz4Bass

Nutz4Bass

Jan 30, 2011
    How can such an UGLY instrument produce such a killer sound?

There...I finally got that thought off my chest. It's really bothering me! Some may consider me a "troll" for starting this thread...but seriously, I'm not trying to start a fan-club war. In fact, I think I've only posted a dozen or so comments on TB. I've just been lurching in the background...trying to figure out whether I want to resume my bass playing interest after a 40 year absence. The truth is...presently, I don't even OWN a bass guitar and I haven't since 1973. However, I'm thinking of buying a new bass.

I've made a few trips to my local retailers and played a few of their bass guitars. I've got a few in mind that I want to take a closer look at...and I have ONE in mind that I wouldn't pay a nickel to own. In fact, it seems to have quite a fan club here on talk bass. I actually played it in the store as I wanted to know how it feels to play a $2,000 + instrument. What I discovered was TOTAL disappointment...even amazement that someone would pay 2k for what I thought was a piece of garbage that played like trash. Poorly set-up? Maybe. The funny thing...I absolutely LOVE the sound it has produced when played by a BIG TIME bassist in a BIG TIME band back in the 70's. Regardless, it was butt ugly in the 70's...and it's still ugly today.

Once again, now that I've gotten these thoughts off my chest, I feel much better. Just FYI...when I was playing bass (40+ yrs ago), it was with my first bass guitar...a Gibson EB-3. Certainly not the best bass...and surely not the worst. Arguably, not the prettiest. However, I was very grateful to own it as a young 13 y/o. OK....back in the shadows I go. I'll let y'all know what (if any) bass I end up buying. Ta-Ta.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

well: it's been five years since you posted --- do you have a bass yet? :D

Slater likes this.