Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looks like we're looking for a singer again...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Here's a bit of history... we had a mediocre singer for over 2 years. We couldn't take it anymore and promptly fired him... our band kind of fell apart after that, with our guitarist busy with university work. We got another guitarist and played around for a while, making some originals. Our old guitarist, an amazing singer, came back with us to sing a bit during the winter break. All was good.

Here's the problem... university's about to start again and he won't be able to practice much, if at all until April. We were asked to open for an established band in March, and need to present them a recording of one of our latest originals by Saturday. Which means we have 6 days to record something, or use a little demo recording we made last week on a little cassette player with our university-bound singer.

Two questions... should we take this gig? We haven't gigged in a year due to various issues, and it almost always involves our singer. We definitely want to play, it's not even funny. I've been playing with my drummer, best friend, for over 3 years, and we definitely sound pretty tight, and we've played with our guitarist in the past, it's all good. Our keyboardist is amazing and definitely has found his place in our band. We already have a lot of original music made and are constantly making more. Now, we have no singer. That said, should we accept this gig and find one?

Secondly, where would we find a singer? Our keyboardist is in music school at college and might have luck through there... however, that's definitely not guaranteed. Also, we go to another college with plenty of musicians, but it's not exactly easy to just find one. And we're looking to find a singer in our age range, which is 17-20. How should we go about this?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What school does your keyboardist go to? I'm looking at schools for that right now in Canada (colleges specifically) and all I've come up with is Humber in Toronto.

3. He doesn't go to an all music school like Berklee, he's in the music program at Vanier college. It's the only college I know of in Montreal that has a music program.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Humber's the same. Thanks! :)