looper passive blend problem?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 33degrees, Sep 14, 2005.

1. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    im looking ot buy a looper with a blend on it but i read on this forum that sometimes they have a problem becuase they are passive. id like to use a blend for a tube screamer and a chorus that is too loud (has no volume control) do you think it wil be a problem with the' passiveness' of the circuit?
  2. it depends. I don't know what the issue you refer to is, but I'm guessing it's got to do with impedance mismatches, and to know the answer would mean knowing the output impedances of your pedals and the impedance of the blender and the impedance of any following equipment... so it's not easy to answer.

Play it safe and get a buffered blender!
  3. I think the concern is more about feedback than it's about impedance mismatching.
    For what you described, I think you'll probably be ok. But, I don't know of any way to tell for sure except actually trying it out. Are you putting the TS and the chorus together in series? If so, couldn't you manage the volume just by turning the TS down?

~ Charlie
  4. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    yes good idea but i dont want to mix them just have them in the loop and use the blend to lower the volume of the chorus although maybe now you mention it yes i could do it with the TS!
    just that people are saying that the boss lu thing is better becuase its active.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had issues when I tried to use a loooper with passive blend and a distortion pedal.

As per Dave Loooper:
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Do you need a blender or an attenuator (passive volume control)? A blender is used to mix some of the dry with the wet signal, usually to get the bass back.

If the chorus is too loud (Boss CE3?), then I think a simple attenuator would work. Loooper will add a volume pot for $15. Also, some of the custom pedal shops might be willing to add a volume pot if there is room.

If your tube screamer needs a blend, get a Sparkle Drive ;)
  7. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Have you considered a Boss LS-2? It has active blending.....