1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looping effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Duce-hands, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Duce-hands

Duce-hands

Nov 4, 2010
    I'm new to effects pedals but I'm starting a project where I'm covering both
    rhythm and harmony. (Bass and piano)and I'm looking for help determining what effects I will need to get the job done. The idea is to start with bass play the line loop and build harmony on top. I am unsure what equipment I need but I need to be able to move the bassline from section A to B and other parts of the piece. Left hand bass is not an option at the moment. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.
    Btw searching kept crashing the app which is why I'm starting a thread

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Are you looking for a looper that will loop one part all the way through a song? If so, the TC Ditto will do that fine. If you need a looper that is going to be able to play part A for a little bit then move to a part B after a little, you may want to look into something like the Boss Loop Station. That one is pretty in depth I believe. The Ditto is a very simplistic kind of looper.

Duce-hands likes this.
  3. Duce-hands

Duce-hands

Nov 4, 2010

Thanks I'll check the Boss out. That sounds like just what I would need.

4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I've never used the Ditto, but it kind of sounds like you want something a little more complicated than that. If I understand what you're asking for, the Pigtronix Infinity Looper can do that, and so can various Boss pedals. Off the top of my head, there are also ones by Boomerang.

Be prepared to $pend though.

Duce-hands likes this.
  5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yes! That Pigtronix one was the other one I had in mind. That thing looks pretty awesome. I do have to add that my guitarist seems to pull off some pretty crazy repeating/looping stuff in our band at times with his DigiTech DL4 Delay Looper. That pedal is still on my "all time" GAS list.

Duce-hands likes this.
  6. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Just FYI, the DL4 is by Line6, not DigiTech. The guitarists from Minus the Bear use these (Line6 DL4s) for some crazy fun stuff, it's more like "sampling" than looping, but it's really cool. I watched this in a Premiere Guitar Rig Rundown, it's worth checking out.

I own a Pigtronix, I'm still just scratching the surface. It has two loops that can be used in a variety of ways. You can play them in parallel or series, you can sync their lengths, etc. Each loop can do unlimited overdubs. It has reverse and undo if you have an external footswitch. It also will sync to a MIDI clock which is important for some of the other effects that I own and how I want to use it when I finally get my Beat Buddy.

sillyfabe likes this.
  7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I knew DigiTech was the wrong company. I just couldnt think of the name of it at the time.

8. hazmatt

hazmatt

Jun 3, 2012
    san diego
    the boomerang 3 does everything the pigtronix does as listed above, and can support up to 4 independent loops for about the same price. no experience with the pigtronix, but the boomerang could be a little more road worthy - doesn't feel as solid as my other heavy duty pedals (ie boss build). if you are reasonable with it the boomerang should last a long time though.

it looks like the PT also has some added functionality in the form of USB connectivity and other doodads.

9. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Yeah I don't know if I'm qualified to compare the two. I got a really really good deal on the Pigtronix and I think the footprint is smaller.

10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use a Boomerang 3 and pretty confident in its durability personally. The main downside vs the Pigtronix is that you can't save loops on the Boomerang...

11. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I just checked and the PIL is smaller by about 1.5" one way and 1" the other. It does seem to me the Rang has more features, other than the USB and saving features of the PIL. But footprint could also be an issue for some people. Again, I went with the PIL because I got a great deal on it and probably don't need the extra Rang features. But if I really really got into looping, it seems like the Rang III might be the top of the heap.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  12. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah the layout of the Boomerang units has always been more about usability than compactness (being able to easily hit the correct footswitch with ease, so plenty of space between the footswitches, low height profile, and box that angles nicely to the floor). If they were equipped with SD cards they'd be the indisputable looping kings in my opinion, but the lack of storage makes them a no-go for many folks. I have considered checking out the Pigtronix sometime for the ability to record and try out ideas.

13. hazmatt

hazmatt

Jun 3, 2012
    san diego
    The lack of storage makes the boomerang more of a compose on the fly tool than performing with backing tracks. More often than not if composing/arranging songs on my boomerang I end up running it into my field recorder or laptop interface. It is an extra step that the SD card would make really nice. I think the larger digitechs have those too, no? If the pigtronix was on my radar a few years ago when I bought the boomerang I might have gone PT for just the saving option alone.....but 3-4 independent loops is quite nice too

14. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    FWIW Pigtronix just released a firmware update that added a lot of features to the Infinity Looper.