Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loose Volume Knob

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sagaris, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Ok, my first problem with my new Fretless is that one of the volume knobs has come loose. So I opened up the back panel and saw the volume and tone units are all held in by glue except the one that has come unstuck.

I'm not very technically minded but I just need something to keep the unit firmly in place. My dad suggested using selotape to keep it firm temporarily but I'm not sure so I thought I'd seek some better advice. Eventually, I presume I'd need to glue it back in place firmly with super glue or something?

Thanks.

2. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    We're going to need a little more information than you've provided. What brand/model bass do you have?

3. I have a Fretless Stagg BC300FL.

[​IMG]

So yeah, all the control units look held in with glue and the circled one has come unstuck.

4. You'll probably get replies from some much more experienced folks, but from what I know, the glue shouldn't be what's holding it in place. If you take the plastic knob off the pot, you should see a thin nut. The pot is threaded, like a bolt... should just have to tighten that nut and you'd be OK. If it is indeed just glued in... well, get a hot glue gun? :)

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

There most definitely should be a nut underneath the knob itself. I haven't seen a pot that wasn't threaded.

6. Thanks guys, so how do I actually go about tightening it?:bag:

7. Take the plastic (or metal, I suppose) knob off the pot (on the front of the bass). You may need to use a small allen wrench to loosen the little screw that holds it on. Once that's off, you should be able to plainly see the nut. You can finger tighten it if you have strong fingers (and you ARE a bassist after all... :p) but probably an adjustable wrench would work best. Should only take a few minutes to do.

Just be careful when you are tightening the nut that you aren't spinning the pot in its hole. If you wind up the wiring around the pot you can end up breaking one of the leads off. This happened to my brother's g**tar.

8. Thanks, but, I'm VERY VERY inexperienced when it comes to this. This is the first time I've fiddled around inside a Bass before. And I can't even do what the first sentences says.

I can't figure out how to take the knob off the pot.:bag: Or I at least can't find a screw that would need an allen wrench to untighten on the knob.

Edit: Nevermind, turns out it needed to be pulled off. Thanks anyway guys.