Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, May 30, 2005.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Has anybody ever been hit with something like brand loyalty?? I've been torn the last couple days with a decison I've gotta make regarding my gear. I currently Run Spectors through a GK 1001RB II, Sansamp BDDI, and a GK 410RBH. These GK amps sound AWESOME. I did A LOT of research before I bought the GK stuff, and at the time it was the only thig I really loved. I play in a very agressive metal outfit, and play fingerstyle so I need alot of "cut" as well as some grindy overdrive for some parts. I love the way MY GK stuff sounds at lower volume, but it just seem sas though the lower notes loose all definition when I reach a needed volume level.... Well things are going well with the band and I'm now in a situation where an outside party will be buying me whatever new gear I need within a certain price...I tried the Aguilar AG500 and loved it. It's marginally lighter than my GK and sounds really great without all the tweaking the GK needs. (the downside being: the Aggie doesnt have the controls to tweak if I wanted to). The Overdrive channel sounds great...and after I explained my sound problem to the rep ha said the answer was more or larger cabinets driven at the same level...that way there is no distortion either from the amp or from loss of speaker cone control at high volumes...

so now I'm stuck...do I stick with my nice GK rig and just get a pair of GK NEO 212's.........or do i sell the whole lot off (keep the money) and get The Aguilar AG500 with a pair of GS212's...................

The only real downside to scrapping all the GK stuff Is i will have only one overdrive sound instead of two...

The upside is as good (or better?) tone as the GK but the ability to lighten my rig by loosing a few pounds off the amp, and dropping the power conditioner....(the two Companies' 212 cabinets weigh virtually the same)

Any advice or input ?

check me out
  2. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    for better definition in the lows at high volumes i'd suggest an amp with something better than a class d power amplifier.
    .02 imo, ime, ad nauseam.
  3. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Just listened to the three tracks on line. Dont change a thing.
    You sound great. :hyper:
  4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Recently, I just A/Bed the AG500 and GK1001 and thought the GK was a better value. Sonicially, I was torn... I don't know if I would rush to make the change unless you really don't like the sound of the GK. I love aguilar stuff, but I was probably go with the GK. What about the GK head with Aguilar cabs??
  5. shrednbass

May 30, 2005
    you cant go wrong with G-K, i would just do what the dude told you to do and run more speakers
  6. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Thanx VACMAN, we worked really hard on it. People seem to like it.....starting next month we're doing a 12 date tour opening for some very serious people....

I really have no prob with my sound now except I hafta use such an hard attack (literally hitting the strings so hard they bounce off the fretboard slap-style) in order to be heard. I have heard 5 string bassists live (without the benefit of protools magic) get a sound that cuts just as well, but with regular old plucking....The Aguilar seemed to give me a bit more of that

honestly it's probably just the thrill of new gear....speaker cabs are great but just not as much fun as new heads....ther never was any contest as far as the spectors are concerned...they aren't going anywhere......

So pretty much everybody agrees....stay with GK....
  7. You could always try the Aggie 212s w/ the GK head - I have almost that same setup (1001 + GS212 + GS112) and it sounds great!
  8. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Why not run a GK 20001RB with a Neo 4x12?
  9. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Keep the head until you can try it with a few different other cabs. The problems you're describing seem like they're mostly due to your speaker setup.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I played the Aggie you speak of and it's tonally opposite of GK, if you like what you have, don't change it. Check out other cabs for sure.
  11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I own a GK700RBII and an Aguilar GS112 that I have used together many times. They sound great together!

Sell your GK cab but KEEP the head.

Then get the Aguilar gear you spoke of.

You will not be sorry!

12. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Pablo, I hope i'm not too late, but I would not throw out your rig, UNLESS you've heard the aguilar rig and LIKE IT!!!

don't make the mistake I made: I bought on the recommendations of others and learned the hard way that what I wanted to hear and what they heard with said equipment was NOT the same. MY FAULT!!!

that being said an AG500 with a pair of gs212 should be KILLER compared to your current setup :bag:

if you can find a shop willing to let you take that exact rig or at least the head to a gig, you could start makeing a shift in that direction...if it sounds good to you

good luck! :bassist:
  13. You need more than a 410 in your situation. You're playing loud metal, and a 410 will never cut. If you like the way your rig sounds now and you need it louder, I'd add another of the same cab. Two Aguilar or even GK 212s will sound really different than one GK 410.
  14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Big Aguilar fan and owner here, and "I" recommend that you keep your GK head, and either add to or replace your cabs. I used to own GK heads, and they are excellent . . . not the same flavor as Aguilar, but if you dig the sound as you say you do, there is no need to sink the $$$ into a head replacement. Just get new cabs.

FWIW, a lone 4x10 of ANY manufacturer is going to have trouble keeping up in a loud metal band. I play in a loud top 40 band, and I usually need two 4x10's plus PA to do the job. The volume is WRONG in my opinion, but that's the shakes. Deal with what you are faced with. With many of my gigs I can "get by" with only one 4x10, but it is stressed. Adding the second 4x10 really relieves it of that problem. You might want to try another 4x10 or a 2x12 to see what it does for you.
  15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have an AG which I like alot. I recently was able to use the GK and the AG with the same speaker cabs (thanks NJL) and I was very impressed with the GK. If you like the sound, keep it. I don't think you will really appreciate the difference.
  16. I'm in the same space; I own the gk 800 rb with the swr Golaith sr cab. Since I play a lot of jazz and commercial most often I take my GK 112 with the extra gk cab and line out at gigs (hate the extra weight, a lifetime of hauling heavy equipment cost me a back surgery and a ringing in my ear.) I am not in love with the GK sound, maybe I have been GK'd too long. My GK gear is reliable, no question and on gigs where I leave the large rig it's all good.

Last year at Bassplayer live Ricky Minor was doing his stick. He was using an Aguilar (I think 750, help me out, I know some of you were there) with a large ag cabinet. His sound was poppin, punchy and definitely full of life. It had a warm sound that I used to get in the 70's with my SVT with the two 8:10 cabs. At SIR studios you know he wasn't lifting equip.

I am looking for a that powerful sound, but with lighter weight. Great with one cab, and awesome with two cabs. I am thinking the AG 350 or 500 with the SWR Goliath sr. and an AG cabinet or two? Any suggestions as to small cabs for rehearsals and casuals? I have been playing a 6 string bass for the last 12 or 13 years, so I need and want the clean low b sound. I would appreciate and suggestions and Ideas. AG or update the GK stuff
  17. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    If i were you. I would stick with the GK and just get cabs with more speaker area.. Pair of 212s should do any gig,, And you have th amp that you are familiar with..
    Use the BDDI...
    I have the VTDi but im thinking of going to a BDDI for my OD since i already have an original VT bass
  18. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    8 year necro thread! Awesome lol
  19. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    WOW... I didnt look at the date.. HA Sorry for the delayed response OP... HA

How did it all work out for you?
  20. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I had the 1001-II for about 2 weeks and sold it. Very bland and meh.
    Gigged the AG500 about 2 years and loved it.