1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loud hum from cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeremyJJackson, Apr 1, 2009.

1. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    Ok well i have an ampeg 410 he that is rated at 8 ohms 500 watt and when i plug in my American SVT cl (4 ohm 300watt) it gives a fairly loud humm. any ideas why this would be? head or cab? It humms when volume is 0 as well.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm not sure about the hum, but you do know that amp is meant to be run at either 4 or 2 ohms, right?

3. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    yes i do know that, i had this cab before i got the head and plan to replace it within a week. im just wondering if the problem would be in the head or in the cab.

4. It is from the amp head, it should be looked it asap! Could be simple grounding issue but could also be something more serious.

5. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    K sounds good bringing it in tomorrow

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's coming from the head. It's not supposed to run at 8 ohms, but I've run SVT's that way before and it doesn't add any extra noise. Not a good idea to do all the time but doesn't hurt to do it occasionally. Could be a grounding issue, could be dirty power, could be you're playing too close to a TV or flourescent lights or something that induces noise.

7. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    well its not dirty power cause i have a conditioner, and its not anywhere close to a tv or lights, and i know its not supposed to be at 8 ohms but like i said its temporary untill next week when the other cab gets to my door step. Ill just bring it in tomorrow, i still have warrenty from the place i bought it which is sweet so it should be alright.