Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lounge ?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nuk3m, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Does anyone know of some cool lounge bands, in particular maybe some with some cool basslines?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Does St Germain count?

3. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    I guess but not the thing im really looking for i dont think they even have a bassist. Come on guys any suggestions?

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Good question, I'm not really into lounge.

Have you checked out Jaga Jazzist?

5. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I guess you'd have to flesh out what you mean by "lounge", but consider the following:
    Nouvelle Vague - exceptional stuff
    Style Council - A lot of there stuff isn't that great, but when they're on, they're really on. Check out "have you ever had it blue" and "me ever changing moods", esp. for the bass parts
    Combustible Edison - Don't know much by them, and they're not particularly bass heavy, but "utopia" is a great song
    Bobby Darrin - obviously not new, but the cat's music swings. For example, "beyond the sea"
    Jimmy Smith - Jimmy Smith is a keyboardist, but you're bound to find some great bass work in there.
    Wes Montgomery - same as above, except sustitute the word "guitarist" for "keyboardist"

. . . and I'm sure I'll think of better, more bass heavy bands later. I'll post if I do. I realize that some people are offended by the word "lounge" as applied to their favorite musicians, as it conjures up images of dudes in bad tuxes playing at the Holiday Inn by the airport. I would defend what I wrote above by saying that lounge to me is anything that has kind of a loose swing to it, with hints of jazz, latin, and African music subtly tied in.

Now that I've made myself sound totally pretensious, I'll sign off. I hope this helps!

6. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Thanks dude, thats some really good stuff.

I really like "Funk Jazz" by Mr Smith.

Yer if you know of any more stuff like that itd be sweet. :hyper:

7. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Maybe check into:
    Tal Farlow
    Vince Guraldi Trio - not really lounge, but definitely cool grooves, esp. the bass. These are the guys who do the Charlie Brown music.
    James Taylor Trio - again, not sure if I'd call these dudes lounge, but they show up on lounge websites all the time
    Can't vouch for any of these bands, so I'll put up their websites and let you decide:
    http://www.eslmusic.com/artists/artists.html
    . . . actually, no I won't, because that's just lazy on my part. Hope this stuff helps!