1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lounsberry Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lfmn16, May 18, 2014.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I found a pedal manufacturer I really like and would like to share with the group - http://www.lounsberrypedals.com. For the record - I have no connection with Lounsberry Pedals (except as a satisfied customer), I don't make a dime off of their pedals and I don't ask for or get discounts. I have four of their pedals and paid full price for each one. I'll also pay full price for a couple of pedals I'm planning on getting in the near future.

I saw an advertisement for the Lounsberry Organ Grinder and it sounded like an interesting pedal so I bought it. It adds a warmth and richness to your sound with no loss of low end so you can keep it on all the time. It also adds some grind when you play double stops or dig in a little bit (or a lot).

I didn't have a specific need I was trying to fulfill when I bought the pedal, but when I used it with my 6 string SX, it really brought the sound to life. The thing I really like about the pedal is that, unlike a built in preamp, I can use it with any of my basses. I have the 6 string SX which I really just tinker with, but i have a 4 string I use live for drop tuning. I won't say that the pedal brings the SX all the way up to my MusicMan soundwise, but it makes the SX sound very good.

Also, I called Greg to talk to him about a pedal with a little more grind and he built me a pedal that is somewhere between the Organ Grinder and one of his overdrive pedals, the Nigel. This custom pedal sounds like the Organ Grinder when bypassed, but has a lot more drive like the Nigel when it's on. There are a lot of subtle and not so subtle sounds in this pedal and I was able to get a really good Larry Graham "Dance to the Music" grind going on.

Anyway, I recommend that you look into these pedals. Greg is a good guy, easy to work with and he now has a pedal designed specifically for the bass which I'll add a review for as soon as I get it.

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks for posting this!!
    I don't like the looks at all but I do look the set up...a simple Od with only two pots is very appealing to me.
    The way these are described on the site is also nice...no promo BS, in just few words.
    Maybe it's just me, but there seems a sense of humility in the way these guys write about the pedals.
    I like that and am quite tempted to give one of their pedals a shot...especially since the prices seem realistic for a guy like me.!
    :)

3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Greg is a really good guy and easy to work with. When I talked to him, he gave me a couple of options for a custom pedal. I had the pedal in my hands within two weeks. I've noticed that a lot of the really good craftsmen are humble. When you are really good, you don't need to tell everyone.

loopee likes this.
  4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I could not agree more!!
    :)

5. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Quite a few interesting pedals there ....

6. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    What do the pots on the Organ Grinder do? All the other pedals are labeled "Drive" and "Level". The Organ Grinder has two knobs but only one label, "Level."

7. Greg Lounsberry

Greg Lounsberry

May 19, 2014
    Lounsberry Pedals
    Sorry, that is on older picture of the Organ Grinder. The pedal currently has Drive and Level controls like almost all of the pedals on the site. I will work on getting the picture updated.

Matt Sweitzer of Canvas is recording a sound sample of the Rupert pedal this week. I will post a link when it is available.

8. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    No worries. I can't wait to hear the demos. I really like Germanium drives, so your pedals look very interesting. I'd love to hear bass samples of the Organ Grinder, Toy Robot, and Nigel, too.

9. speak2planets

speak2planets

Oct 25, 2012
    Hotlanta
    Welcome to TB Greg. I think it's great when the guys who build the products we use make themselves available and accountable to their customers. Just took a look at yer site and although you haven't built anything I need yet I have bookmarked yer site and will check in periodically. Good luck with yer business and welcome to TB

10. Greg Lounsberry

Greg Lounsberry

May 19, 2014
    Lounsberry Pedals
    Thanks! I appreciate the official welcome! Feel free to tell me what kinds of products you think there is a need for. The wheels are always turning...........

11. Greg Lounsberry

Greg Lounsberry

May 19, 2014
    Lounsberry Pedals
    One of the forum members emailed me and asked for sound clips of the Rupert pedal. There is a new demo by Matt Sweitzer of Canvas on the demos page at the lounsberrypedals website. It is posted at the top of the page.

12. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Sounds great. Does it use FET clipping?

13. Greg Lounsberry

Greg Lounsberry

May 19, 2014
    Lounsberry Pedals
    It uses FET preamp circuitry, but it is good ol' Germanium diode clipping. I make a guitar pedal (Ace of Spaydes) that uses FET clipping. Now you got me thinking....................

14. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

A little late but I’m in for a Rupert.
    Just found out about it today. Now the wait.

15. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Hi Greg
    I bought an Organ Grinder pedal last month. Solo on my bass, I just love it, just the perfect OD rasp that I wanted.....but.....I do seem to get lost in a band mix, the pedal seems to thin out my bass' sound. Is there a bass mod that could be done to this pedal?

lfmn16 likes this.