Low action = strings hitting fretboard!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by debbandruss, Sep 25, 2005.

1. debbandruss

Jun 10, 2004
    I can't be the only person with problem, I like my action fairly low however whenever I get the slightest bit agressive with my right hand the strings click on the end of the fretboard! And with my P bass thats strung B-E-A-G I have to play the B extra gentily. Anyone know any work arounds or is this just a live with it or play gentily?
  2. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    U could raise the action. I also believe that using a thicker set of strings will make raise the tension.

This should be in setup also I believe.
  3. you just can't have really low action and play agressively... every player who uses low action use a light touch... unless they want that click...

so sorry but time to rise you're actio a bit...
  4. everyone forgets about one important factor here...it's where you pluck...

when playing delicate passages with full bottom, play gently near or on the fretboard...when going for more growl and bite, play more agressively near the bridge.

You'll find that close to the bridge you can dig in quite a bit and get that tone you're looking for without the strings clacking.

It's really about technique, practice, and experimentation as much as anything else.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, definitely a Setup issue. Which is where this thread now resides.
  6. Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    I have the same problem, tuned E A D G and with an Ibanez. However, my action is as high as possible and the strings are the best guage for the nect and bridge (45-105). Perhaps its about time to play with the truss rod?
  7. ^^Check how the bow is in the fretboard.. It might be an option for you to make it more 'banana-like'