1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low B not cutting through

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beton_Soldat, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Beton_Soldat

Beton_Soldat

Oct 4, 2010
    Hey guys!

I had a show the other day and anytime I played my low B string it didn't 'boom' as much as I wanted it too. Are there and EQ settings I could adjust to help?

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    more info required: Bass / amp would help.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    +1

It's on of these, or it's the setup of your bass, or your strings.

4. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Going to need more info....

For example:

1. What bass?
    2. What amp/cab?
    3. What kind of venue/room/stage/etc?

Edit: wow, you guys are quick!

5. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    bah - clearly another phase-of-the-moon issue. Very overlooked here on TB...

6. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Oh I see, like the tides! He must have been playing the show during a new moon thereby making the low notes thin and anemic.

Makes perfect sense.

7. Low B is tough because the frequencies are so low that not only can they be difficult to hear, but some amps and cabinets are not designed to handle those frequencies. There are many pro bassists who do not play 5 strings basses for this reason. They feel that it doesn't cut through. Try boosting your highs and mids.

8. Beton_Soldat

Beton_Soldat

Oct 4, 2010
    I play an sr505fbm through a 400h head and a traynor cab. Can't member the name but it gas one 15 inch and two 10 inch speakers

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    The room was large enough for the low frequencies to develop.

And if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

:bag:

Yes this post is a joke!!!

10. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    uh. Right.

11. While a larger room means theres room for the bass to develop and reach far back, it does also mean that you mean not hear that so well on stage so well. Your bass may have sounded wonderful in the crowd but weak on the stage.

12. Beton_Soldat

Beton_Soldat

Oct 4, 2010
    It was a very small space. Not big in the least.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  14. Beton_Soldat

Beton_Soldat

Oct 4, 2010
    Oh lol. I didn't think it did I just wasn't sure if he was telling the truth or playing off my ignorance aha.

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Does the pickup-to-string spacing on the B-side and the G-side differ much?

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Sometimes less is more. There are times when in a given room the acoustics play with your sound and you will actually gain more tone and cutting ability on the low B by playing it lighter than usual.

I find the low B to be a string that sings when plucked lighter relative to the other strings and absolutely suffocates itself when played the same or harder in an attempt to be heard better.

Just a thought.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You could have in fact been in a spot where you wouldn't have heard the bass well.

18. Beton_Soldat

Beton_Soldat

Oct 4, 2010
    I was infrint of the amp lol

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually most pro bassists are moving away from fours and going to fives. In fact, I can't think of a single pro bassist who is playing a four-string any more. I'm not a pro, yet even my B strings cut through. It's about knowing how to EQ your gear.

20. Beton_Soldat

Beton_Soldat

Oct 4, 2010
    I know that's what I'm asking aha. I don't know how to EQ really.