Low B or High C?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Jul 14, 2004.

Low B or High C?(read before polling)

Poll closed Jul 21, 2004.
  1. Low B

99 vote(s)
  2. High C

39 vote(s)
  1. So, which one? I play a 5-string and I'm leaning torwards High C because most of the music I play is Beatles related and some of there songs i have to play the guitar part for because my band is just me and my drummer since my guitarist is taking a break for the summer. So what would you do in my situation???
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My 5 has a low B. I dont think either one is truely needed (tee hee) but i think the B is more advantageous.
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If I get a 5, it will be with a high C. When I get a 6, it will be with high C and F, not a low B.
  4. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Neither. High B and have it like a 5 string guitar but an octave lower.
  5. I like the way you think! :p

Your just plain wrong.

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

u dont need a high C, cuz u already have a high C on the G string, get the low B, which u might actually need.
  7. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Swing and a miss.

8. yes but i said i play some guitar music too, when does a guitar with 6 strings ever go to a B or C? D i can just detune. And those extra notes will really come in handy! :p
  9. damn straight!
  10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
  11. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Learn to play guitar *ducks*
  12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

are you all just too lazy to reach or play in a different box?
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played one like that for years!

I switched to the low B when I started playing in a cover band in the late 90's... Went I got my fretless 6 I tuned it B-B but changed it to B-C within the first week. It's fretless and I don't play chords like I did backin the day
  14. dear, dear, speddli...err...James
  15. BABY J

BABY J

Jul 9, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    I say High C. U buy a 5 string bass, and u only paying for 5 extra notes (standard tuning)... not worthe the $ IMP. I say go with the high C. Plus when u are gigging, every rig can't handle a low B effectively (u may not be playing through YOUR cabs at every gig). There are also more things to consider as well... number of pieces in your band (any keyboards?). Are you playing rhythm bass (classic) or are you carrying the band? Go with the high C Bro!!
  16. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I would get a 6 string bass. The low B is awesome.
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Look guys! I think I can see the point, way over there in the distance!

High C all the way. I'm getting a fiver in the next year or two and it'll be a fretless godin A5 tuned EADGC.
  18. I'd wait for the guitarist to come back. ;)

Seriously, I find the B string really useful for many reasons. Of course, you get those five extra notes (the same number as if you get a high C ;) ), but you also get more notes in one position. Also, if you learn a song in E and you use the E on the B string, it's way easier to transpose the song to another key, since you keep the same fingering pattern. :cool:

I can see the high C being useful, too, so you might consider a 6-string, as someone else suggested. But the B string is definitely useful when you play lots of modern cover songs, as I do. :smug:
  19. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, Paul never needed a high c. Adding a C won't sufficiently fill for a lack of a guitarist.
  20. Adding the high C will partially compensate for the lack of guitarist by allowing you to play a certain number of chords that don't sound like mud, even more so if you tune it to B and play regular guitar chords (although again, I'd avoid open-string chords on a bass if you can manage it.) However, unless you have a great deal of skill in playing what amounts to two parts at once, I'd suggest you just wait for the guitarist to come back.