Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low-end booster effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Sep 1, 2004.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I just got my RBI in last week, and love the versatility, but really am missing my Mesa's Parametric EQ that just gushed with deep-end sound whenever I notched it just right. I've tried a lot of different things on the RBI so far, and still can't get really even close to that dub/sub sound.
    We do a lot of Dispatch/Sublime/original stuff that requires that kind of sound, so does anyone know of a pretty cost-effective effect/product that would help me out here? I've got room in my pedalboard and rack, so it'd work out either way there.

Would a BBE 362/482 do it alone, or would I need some other sort of effect?

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Aphex big bottom or Guyatone bottom blaster?

Wouldn't it be great if everybody could make quality pedals in such small boxes like guyatone...

3. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I use a Boss EQ pedal, seems to do the trick when i want boomy dub lows

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    John East's J Retro Stompbox might do it for you. It has all the same eq options as the onboard J Retro. Bass boost, treble cut/boost, bright switch, semi-parametric mid cut/boost (overlaps bass or treble frequencies).

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, not too much wrong with the boss eq pedal.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

I actually used to have one of those! Why didn't I think of that earlier??? :)

Good idea!

I might look into that Aphex pedal. I've seen 'em before, and for how much I'll be using this, it might be worth the investment as I think they're a little pricey for just pedals.