1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low latency pitch to MIDI finally here!?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Badmuthaplucka, Jan 26, 2018.

1. No bass unit as of yet but this is very promising! And may even be very affordable!

2. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    It's not pitch to midi. It's completing a circuit when you fret the note. It doesn't look like they're even paying attention to strum/pluck at all. That's a pretty significant drawback. It would mean, for example, that all notes come in with the same velocity. Maybe that's configurable though.

Also note, it requires more modification to your instrument (or buying their custom ones) than something like a GK3b pickup.

And I'm not sure how they got this patented. Aren't there already guitars and basses on the market that do this? Didn't Yamaha or Peavey make a bass that worked this way? I don't think this is a new solution. If they succeed, it may be cheap enough to get some market penetration though. We'll see.

Sorry. Not trying to be a total a-hole here. They're wrapping up a Kickstarter now. I was interested, but I lost a fuckton of money on the Console Kickstarter, so I'm never doing anything that large again. I'm definitely interested in seeing what actually makes it to market on this, especially if they do a bass version at some point, but I'm fairly cautious at the moment.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

so it would never work with a fretless!

4. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    I just bought Jam Origin's MIDI Bass (it comes with MIDI Guitar 2) and am running it on my MacBook Pro inside Logic Pro X. It tracks amazingly well down to a low G, and from low G to low E its a little slower. Does not track anything below a low E at all, there must be some software limit.

I have a Peavey Cyberbass and a Artiphon, selling them both. The only bummer is you need a laptop to use it, but it really works well - check out the demo. There is a iOS version as well.