1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low 'Lows'?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eddbassman, Sep 25, 2008.

1. eddbassman

eddbassman

Feb 28, 2008
    Currently my main bass is an Epiphone Explorer:
    ebex.
    But in Black.

I really enjoy to play it but its trebly and punchy with no real great lows.

Now I have a MIM Fender Jazz on order (coming October) and I was wondering whether I can expect to get some better lows from it?

Also I am playing through a small behringer amp, so that may have something to do with it, but I will be upgrading soon.

2. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    I think you just answered your own question there. I'm not familiar with the sound of an Explorer, but I like to think that any bass can provide lows at the correct volume and EQ (if need be). Granted, it may not be 'enough' lows for what you're looking for, although there are solutions for that as well.

Re: the MIM Jazz - same deal. From hearing someone else play one, I don't see why you couldn't get enough lows out of that....what amp setup were you looking to upgrade to?

3. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    I play a MIM jazz through a Behringer BX1200, and with the ultrabass circuit on the thing SHAKES. I play it with the bridge pup cranked and the neck pup all the way off. Maybe you should mess with your controls a bit.

4. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    It's likely that the amp more than anything is the source of your problems.

5. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    MIM is pretty freakin low. ive got one and its got a nice warm low end if you eq it right.

6. eddbassman

eddbassman

Feb 28, 2008
    Hmm cheers for the advice,
    Im not sure what amp I want to upgrade to, but most probabaly a larger combo.
    I think that the amp may be a big part of the problem but I'll see in October.

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    The amp you have can provide very nice lows. I'm assuming it's an Ultrabass model or something? I've played through a fair share of Behringer gear, and for the price they sound quite nice. The Epi Explorer is a very mid/treble orientated bass. You should be happier with the Jazz you have coming.

I'm not sure what your budget would be for the amp, but the Bass Centre down in Melbourne has an Ampeg BA115 on special for $949. That's a pretty good deal and Ampeg tone is sweet. Cheaper alternatives are the SWR Working Pro 12" for $920, Nemesis N15SE for $600, and occasionally a good combo pops up in the 2nd hand pages. All of this is coming from www.basscentre.com.au by the way. :) I got a 2nd hand Ashdown Perfect 10 combo from my local music store for $300, not a bad deal if you ask me. I still use it because my Ampeg head doesn't have a headphone output for when I want to play late at night.

EDIT: This is a very good amp also, I'd highly recommend it. I've tested it out once before and it sounded great to my ears, and boy is it loud.
    http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/bass/peavey/TKO_115s.htm

Another edit: I'm assuming you're from Australia because of the picture linked from an Aussie website? If not I've just wasted my time, LOL. :p

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I think I kind of know what you're saying. For awhile I was playing a couple of Carvins. A four banger from the early eighties and then an early 90's LB75 5 string. The LB75 has just an overall "lower" sound, than my four banger. Even though they are the same notes, it just resonated lower. I always assumed it's because it's a five string. But I've also picked up some other basses that just seemed treblier (like a Music Man Stingray) to me.

9. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    The amp is likely the bigger factor here. If it's a smallish Behringer with a 10-inch or less speaker, then it's not going to do very good lows for any bass that's plugged into it. Pretty much the same could be said for nearly any small practice amp. None of them seem to give much bottom unless you spend big $ for a Markbass or similar.

Once you get a bigger amp, the Epi might give all the lows you want. If it doesn't, I'm sure the jazz will. The jazz is a low-end monster if you set it right.

10. eddbassman

eddbassman

Feb 28, 2008
    Hmm, to ROON, haha I'm not from Oz and to go to the Bass Centre in Melbourne would be a fair hop from the UK!, but thanks for the good advice.
    Yeah the Behringer is just a small practice amp and I reckon something in the range of 60-100 watts would be a good place to go?

MikaSupaStar you know exactly what i mean, same notes, just trebly and twangyish sounding more than other basses.

NWB I look forward to the Jazz and hopefully a new amp soon!

11. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Haha okay mate. Sorry. :p