1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low Output on Musicman Classic Sabre

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bulky Bass, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Bulky Bass

Bulky Bass

Jan 25, 2008
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Recently purchased a Musicman Classic Sabre. Great bass that plays like butter. When I plug it in however, the volume is considerably lower than my passive basses. Battery is fresh and pickups are at their proper height and volume is all the way up.

I thought active basses where supposed to sound louder than passive basses or am I doing something wrong?

2. Well, have you adjusted the pickup height at all? Having said that, I can tell you that the output on my Classic Sabre is not super hot, but not lower than my passive basses.

My two main players are the Sabre and a Fender Jazz with DiMarzio Area J’s. These two have roughly the same output level. Areas J’s are not nearly as hot as some other DiMarzio J pickups, although they sound great.

3. Bulky Bass

Bulky Bass

Jan 25, 2008
    Bay Area, Ca.
    My other 3 basses are a G&L Lb-100, G&L Sb-1, and a Fender Tony Franklin fretted and they are at least 1 1/2 times louder than this bass. I've adjusted the pickup height as far it can go without hitting the strings.

4. Magnuscanis

Magnuscanis

Apr 2, 2018
    I have the same problem with my classic Sabre. Did you solve this problem?

5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    There’s nothing that says that active basses need to be louder than their passive counterparts. Sabres are usually a bit lower output, mine is somewhat quieter than my passive P. It’s not a problem, I just tweak the volume on the amp a little. Problem solved.

Giffro likes this.
  6. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Playability is for bass guitars...butter is for the dinner table.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021