1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

low output pickups and the TH500

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rufus.K, Jun 21, 2016.

1. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Ive been finding that I really like low output Jazz pickups with the Aggie TH500 versus high output.
    I have 2 Jazz's, one of which is my #1 and first bass. The #1 plays and feels like everything I want in a bass, and has some big output for single coils. Ive never made a measurement with a meter, but from over 17 years of plugging it into amps, it both clips and distorts an amp's front end with less gain than most singles Ive played or owned.
    My other Jazz is quite the opposite, and I used to think it sounded dull (by comparison).
    Im not really into a distorted bass tone, not unless Im really digging in, and then I would expect some. The learning curve on the TH500 controls are notoriously not what one thinks they are, the relationships between Gain,Drive and EQ are super super interactive. I havent really enjoyed my #1 through the TH500, even though I use it (the Aggie) almost exclusively when Im out of the house. That bass makes the clip light come on very early, and the grit it gives isnt my cup of tea. Ive been using my Tobias (active) mostly since I got the TH500 , and I keep the bass' volume down a bit. I finally made the correlation yesterday when playing the second Jazz. The two (Jazz #2 and the TH500) rarely see eachother, as the Aggie lives in a road ready state and Jazz#2 stays in my home studio.
    Anyone else like low output pickups?

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021