1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low profile heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CircleOfCrows, May 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Mar 28, 2013
    Australia
    An unusual request.. What amps out there are really low profile?
    I'm looking for something I can throw in my gig bag. Looking for something light; flat and reliable. I typically play Orange. Ad200/terror bass 1000w. Something similar flavour would be ideal.
    Generally dial amp in clean/ pushed mids. Use hot actives so something that won't clip at input/has pad.
    Vintage or modern tone but with some girth.

Trace Elliot Elf is great (in size) but not going to cut it volume wise.
    I'm aware on the GK mb series but have seen some reliability issues.

Reason I ask is rehersing in many bands at different locations. Often straight after work. So ultra portability+adequate volume is primary want. Will be using orange for all live gigs so its more just jam purposes. Aware of a tone of class d on the market. It's the thickness of amp I'm struggling too narrow down.

Thank you all!

2. Don't be so sure a 200w Elf won't cut it (with o/d pedal) if your usual is AD200.

Zbysek likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    TecAmp Puma 500 or EICH T500.

4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Mesa D-800 or the + are great choices. Although I was never able to fit my + in any of my bags when I had it.

5. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Mar 28, 2013
    Australia
    D800 sounds great, just too thick for my gig bag!

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Honestly, unless you have a really expensive gig bag, I wouldn't let that be your limiting factor. Get a gig bag with a deeper pocket unless you're rocking a $300 leather one. I would never let any kind of case determine what kind if gear I use.

Gigglingbuns likes this.
  7. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Mar 28, 2013
    Australia
    I get this. Absolutely a valid point. Currently I carry around the Terror Bass in a bag + Bass + gigbag (Backpack with Pedalboard/cables/notes etc). Whole purpose of looking is something to chuck into my gig bag. Don't want to go any bigger. I do a lot of fly in gigs as well, having a small portable amp that fits in gig bag is a massive bonus. Size/weight is absolutely driver in me looking. Width and length aren't issues - just height/weight. 99% I'm travelling on trains/trams/PT.

two fingers likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Nothing wrong with the MB-500.

CircleOfCrows likes this.
  9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I am using TE ELF for these purposes. It has never run out of power for my needs.

You should give it a try if you can.

10. Coot

Coot

Nov 14, 2018
    Winnipeg,Canada
    (Not so cheap) GK MB 2-5-800, , (Cheap) Fender Rumble 500 and tons of compact Traynor SS's

11. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I get an MB-800 fusion and a MB-500 along with all my cables in one small pull along bad. Can’t get any more compact than that.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021