1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

low strings way louder than high ones

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BNiedz13, Mar 14, 2008.

1. BNiedz13

BNiedz13

Mar 6, 2008
    Cumberland, RI
    Hey guys, sorry if this is a dumb question but....

I play a 4-string stingray and have been noticing lately at band practice that notes played on my low E string come booming through my amp sometimes almost too loud, and notes on the high G string sometimes are barely even audible over the rest of my band. Do you think there is a problem with my pickup or is it something that a simple adjustment might fix?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    this sounds like a cross between pickup height adjustment and eq. If you are pushing a lot of lowend drop the pick up a hair and see what that does.

3. I would say adjusting the pickup would be the first step.

However, a slightly weak 'G' is often reported on 'rays, and is (IMHO) one of the bass's only possible downfalls.

4. Check to make sure your setup is good. The low strings should not be that much further from the pup than the high strings. If they are, it can be as simple as turning the screws to raise or lower one side of the pup. Read the stickys about truss adjustment and what not and learn to set up the bass yourself. An istrument where everything is working harmoniously and is adjusted exactly to your preferences is a beautiful thing indeed.

5. +1 Raise the G side of the pickup and don't boost the bass too much.

6. Strings will also do this. The original strings on my RBX had the same problem. DR Black Beauties are a lot better. The DR BB's are also all closer to the same tension, which I think also is a factor

7. If the pick-up height adjustment doesn't do it EQ out the bassiness and increase your volume. Bass guitar is inherently low frequencies. It shouldn't be necessary to emphasize the low end either through voicing manufactured into the amp or EQ by the player but in my experience both of those are common, especially the latter by new players.

8. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    you could also get a compressor.

9. IMHO, one should not have to buy another piece of gear to make a $1500 instrument usable. Just MHO.

10. +1 This is just a common problem with Ray's. Out of the two that I owned, one had a very weak G string. It's a shame they haven't fixed that problem because they are, otherwise, fantastic sounding.

11. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    One was referring to the Original Post in which the bass in use, was not stated.

"legal" talk aside, people do this quite often.

12. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Actually, OP said he was using a Stingray 4-banger.

13. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    ahh **** my bad. I'm used to Caps for proper nouns :p

But still people buy gear to make $1500 instruments sound better, ALL THE TIME.

14. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Not familiar with this problem on Rays, but if its only a problem with the high strings in a band setting, could it be that the problem lies in how the bass is EQed? You might be fighting for frequency space with the rest of your band.

15. +1 on the pickup height. This was an issue on my Fender P-bass. Then I used the setup guide in the owner's manual for the initial settings and adjusted the pups until the sound was balanced. Note that different strings have different magnetic properties and you may have to adjust the pups when changing brands, types or gauges.