Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low-Tension strings/Tendinitis

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Alexi David, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Hello all, I am new to the forum.

I need to change strings because 1. I want the gut sound and feel and 2. I've been having arm problems for 9 months, so I need a string with very low tension. I need some reccomendations as to what to purchase. The main priority is the low tension, over the "guttiest" tone. The bass is a Christopher Hybrid 5-String.

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    why not try a set of guts;)

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Besides gut, you could consider solo-tuning strings, which are lower tension when tuned at orchestra pitch.
    Obligatos (synthetic core) are also available in solo-tuning now.
    Most (good) steel strings are available in solo-tuning sets too.
    Jargar strings in Dolce gauge come to mind too.
    Very gut-like tone, and low tension.

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks for the replies, all. I'm somewhere between getting Jargar Dolce or plain guts (like the Lemur Goetz). Eudoxas and Olivs are way out of my price reach at the moment. And if I hold off guts for now, I also won't have to pay for the nut/bridge slots to be widened.

So, friends - any last opinions before I make the plunge?

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    make sure you wait a full hour before heading into the water:D

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    No problem for me - I'm a Pisces

7. I use Velvet Garbos, which are low tension and are copperwrapped synthetic gut. They are wonderful strings, but I have no idea as to whether they come in a 5 string set.

8. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Do you play mostly arco, pizz, or a 50-50 mixture of both?

9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I play almost completely pizz. I like a big, boomy sound, without sustain. Like old Mingus records, etc.

Bow sound I prefer a dark, mellow tone. But of course pizz is very much the priority.

10. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Your best choice would be guts, but I can see cons, like price, durability and weather influence. (also top nut reshaping and bridge height lifting)
    You should love those Jargar Dolces! :)

11. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Thank you Francois for your reply. Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with the Jargar Dolce for now, and main reason being economic - big difference! I will of course get guts in the future, but I very curious about the Jargars, so I will give them a try. Thanks.

12. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I installed the Jargar Dolces and I really like them - low tension, almost like gut, and a gut-like sound to boot - no more of that annoying modern growl sound! Thank you for your help!:)

13. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You made my day, thanks!
    It's always a pleasure to make someone happy!
    :)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was suprised nobody had mentioned this - but aren't "arm problems" far more likely to be caused by technique, rather than what type of strings you use?

I mean - I don't know,I'm asking the question - but I'm just surprised that what sort of string you use, could have an effect like that!!?? :confused:

15. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    N, no - my physical problems were purely a result of overuse of the computer - at one point about 17 hours a day for months on end. That will do it to you!

Lower tension strings help my playing till I recover, as I have pain on the 3rd and 4th fingers and loss of strength.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ahhh....I see - it makes sense now - thanks!

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    but which Jargar's???

on juststrings, there's the Red, Blue, and Green sets. how do they differ from one another?

18. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Red = Forte (thick)
    Blue = Medium
    Green = Dolce (thin)

HTH!

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA